Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Not able to login on episerver cms website

Vote:

We have episerver website where I have one user ABC with all roles & second user PQR with Administrator role. I am able to login with ABC but I can't able to login with PQR, also website is not throwing any error after login with PQR. After observation I found that assigning "Webeditor" role is perfectly working for all users, if this role is not present in users role list user will not able to login into the system. I spent four days for code debuggin, changing roles, etc but still not able to find any solution on whether it is the functionality of episerver or it is bug in the system. Can anyone please help me out of this.

Edited, Jul 03, 2018 8:58
Vote:

Hi kalpaks,

If you take a look at web.config, you'll find something like this:

<location path="EPiServer">
  <system.web>
    <authorization>
      <allow roles="WebEditors, WebAdmins, Administrators" />
      <deny users="*" />
    </authorization>
  </system.web>
</location>

Only users/roles that are specified in this section will have access to edit mode. However, it doesn't mean that they also have access rights to create/change/delete/publish pages. That's configured in the admin mode.

If you don't get any error message when you try to log in, it means that your username and password are good, but you're not allowed to access edit mode. That functionality is part of asp.net, not something that is Episerver specific.

I wrote a blog post about virtual roles some time ago. Hope it helps: https://www.dcaric.com/blog/virtual-roles-in-episerver

Edited, Jul 03, 2018 9:58
Vote:

Thanks for your help Dejan Caric. It solved my problem.

Jul 16, 2018 15:13
Vote:

Great that it helped.

You should also check that there are other locations in web.config that also has these settings.

Also look in the episerver.framework section where groups are defined that should have access to the system.

Edited, Jul 16, 2018 19:30
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.