Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Some visitor group criterias not working

Vote:

I'm having issues with some Visitor Groups Criterias not working.

Geolocation>Country: Works!
Geolocation>Region: Does not work!

Url Criterias Referal> URL / HostName: Neither is working.

I've tested on epi sites with episerver 9.8.1 and 10. I've tried old (from installation) and new (downloaded from supplier) GeoLiteCity.dat

Could anyone also check their installation and get back weihter it works for you or not?!

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2018 14:23
Vote:

Hi, I've exact the same issues with our EpiServer site.

Did you found any solution on this problem?

BR P-O

Jan 10, 2020 8:49
Vote:

I know that some critieria has problem if Session state is not available but I do not remember if these are among those.

Jan 10, 2020 20:13
Vote:

I know that some critieria has problem if Session state is not available but I do not remember if these are among those.

Jan 10, 2020 20:13
Vote:

Hi Jonas

Just tested out on an Episerver 10.10 site. It recognizes country and region correctly with the old file. Are you using the new NuGet package, EPiServer.Personalization.MaxMindGeolocation with the new file?

URL-based criterions depend on session state for storing entry URL's. If session state is turned off, it won't work. Since Episerver CMS 11.10 (I think it was), a cookie will be used when session state is turned off.

Jan 12, 2020 8:58
Vote:

Hi again,

Sessionstate is not disabled for the site.

As I understand visitorgroups not require sessions?

https://world.episerver.com/documentation/developer-guides/CMS/personalization/session-handling-in-visitor-group-criteria/

Jan 13, 2020 7:22
Vote:

Jan 13, 2020 17:52
Vote:

Hi,

The region I see in that link is Stockholm. 

I know that this is the place where the company network reach the Internet. So I think this could be considered as correct.

Since I wrote the question I've updated the site to maxmind GeoLite DB. (The free version, not the paid Geo2 DB version in the link above) The vistorgroup now think I'm in Gothenburg, which is another part of Sweden. I'm not sure why it think I'm there. Physically I'm between these two places.

I then did a traceroute, and on the way to Internet it seems as a server in the middle of the network chain is in Gothenburg. I dont know how the underlaying logic is, but maybe it is trying to do a best guess where I am and not using the region where the network reach the Internet. So maybe this also could be considered as correct in some way?

It seems as GeoLite (free version) and Geo DB (link above) give different answers. Is this what I could expect?

whatismybrowser.com is a site that seems to be using maxmind with the same (free?) version. This site also reporting I'm in Gothenburg as our Epi site.

Reading https://www.whatismybrowser.com/faq/location-detection-is-wrong to understand what is going on, and as I understand its more then the IP and where the network is connecting to Internet that determine the reported region. It seems as it "guess" from a couple of factors and to get a more accurate "guess" the paid version maybe should be choosen?

Jan 13, 2020 20:04
Vote:

Somwhow world site is not updating all comments, from email, yes GeoLite and Geo DB can give different results

/K

Jan 13, 2020 23:13
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.