Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Is EPiServer Search needed for the search function in the editorial interface?

Vote:

Hi!

We have a site running EPiServer CMS 10.10.4.0 where we have EPiServer Search activated via web.config. As a sidenote we're also running EPiServer Find on the site.

Anyway, we have "Update batch could not be sent to service uri" filling up the log.

Before I try to fix this issue, I wanted to ask the following:

- Is EPiServer Search needed for the search function in the editorial interface?

By this I'm referring to the magnifying glass in the global menu where you can search for pages, blocks and so forth.

Nov 08, 2018 7:54
Vote:

I believe you don't. Find has its own implementation of search provider that is used in the CMS UI

Nov 08, 2018 8:33
Vote:

Like Quan says, Episerver Search is not needed, you can use Find as you already have it

Nov 08, 2018 10:19
Vote:

So basically I could just deactivate EPiServer Search in web.config? Like

<episerver.search active="false">

Is the edit/admin search affected by the EPiServer initialization module I have where I tell Find to only index certain items?

Nov 08, 2018 10:26
Vote:

If you don't index certain items then they will be un-searchable, that's for sure.

Nov 08, 2018 10:29
Vote:

also if you want to be able to search to media you have to index them aswell with find

ContentIndexer.Instance.Conventions.ForInstancesOf<MediaData>().ShouldIndex(x => true);

Nov 08, 2018 10:32
Vote:

As others said, remember that if you only use Find as the editor search you must include all content in the index and that can affect the price you need to pay if you for example have a lot of blocks and/or media

Nov 08, 2018 10:57
Vote:

Exactly.

There's a reason for not indexing all content and that is because it'll affect the price.

Guess I'll have to try and get the free product EPiServer Search working.

Thanks for all the help though!

Nov 08, 2018 10:59
Vote:

Exactly that is why I usually do not use only that.

I wrote a blog post a few years ago on how to set up Episerver Search in a way that works the safest way

https://world.episerver.com/blogs/Henrik-Fransas/Dates/2015/8/setup-episerver-search-in-a-future-safe-and-stable-way/

Nov 08, 2018 11:15
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.