Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Error logs issue in DXC

Vote:

Hi,

I am working on a website that is running in DXC. When we get the application log from paasportal.episerver.net we have noticed that all the errors are shown as:

"EPiServer.Global : Unhandled exception in ASP.NET 
System.InvalidOperationException: The model item passed into the dictionary is of type 'System.Web.Mvc.HandleErrorInfo', but this dictionary requires a model item of type 'SearchResultsPageViewModel'."

this is even when i manually add a line to a view file that throws an error with a specific message, where i should be seeing something like:

"EPiServer.Global : Unhandled exception in ASP.NET 
System.Exception: test 
at ASP._Page_Views_Pages_HomePage_cshtml.Execute()
at System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() 
at System.Web.Mvc.WebViewPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() 
at System.Web.WebPages.StartPage.ExecutePageHierarchy()
etc.

I'm trying to work out if i need to configure the site differently to work on DXC and to get the correct error messages. One thing we have noticed is that when we turn CustomErrors off in the web config we get the correct error details in the application log, even though it is using the same html file to display the error message. Obviously we want to keep custom errors turned on in production so this isn't really a fix.

I'm really confused, has anyone set up a DXC site where logging is working correctly? what did you have to do differently to a regular episerver website?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Nov 26, 2018 13:40
Vote:

As long as your following 

https://world.episerver.com/digital-experience-cloud-service/development-considerations/logging/ and

https://world.episerver.com/documentation/developer-guides/CMS/logging/logging-into--net-diagnostics-trace/ that's the standard way of logging in the DXC.

As long as then in code your using the EPiServer.Logging.ILogger interface injected in to your code for the logging you should get all the correct logs come through. We are using it in the DXC and it's working as expected

Nov 26, 2018 13:49
Vote:

@scott did you have to specify a blob storage location for the logs? or does episerver deal with it automatically? Also, when you view the logs do you get errors relating to System.Web.Mvc.HandleErrorInfo ? i think this error is hiding the real error message but i can't work out why.

Sam

Nov 26, 2018 14:01
Vote:

I think I had to request it with episerver support to turn on logging in the enviornments although you should have been given the integration access to configure Integration yourself

Nov 26, 2018 14:12
Vote:

thanks Scott,

I assume that the logging settings are correct as the log contains the correct errors when we have custom errors turned off in the web config, the mainthing we are trying to work out is why all the errors are logged as 'System.InvalidOperationException' when we have custom errors turned on. Can't recreate it locally.

Sam

Nov 26, 2018 14:27
Vote:

hi,

We have finally managed to fix the issue. The fix was to permenantly set the custom errors off in the web.config ('<customErrors mode="Off">'). This is normally set to off or custom on all other sites we develop so we didn't think this would be a long-term solution but EPiServer support eventually told us this is what needs to be done to fix it. 

Even if you have followed all of the instructions and read all of the documentation you will still have to set custom errors to off. Hopefully this information will be useful to others in the future.

Sam

Dec 11, 2018 10:10
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.