Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

BVN404 - Partial route match

Vote:

Hi,

One of my client has decided to redirect all the image gallery items to a new url. We have implemented BVN 404, and have tried different options like below

Old Url : /image-gallery/

New Url : /redirect-gallery/

and 

Old Url : /image-gallery

New Url : /redirect-gallery

But nothing works, as expected, always responds 404. Whereas if I do a full url, the redirect happens fine. The issue with having full url is the image gallery will have more than 1000's of url , which are uploaded by the users of the website. 

Where as with wild card enabled, all the subpages, redirects to the root page.

The BVN version we are using is 3.1.3.899

Any suggestions to try?

Thanks,

Rams

Oct 29, 2018 11:26
Vote:

You could do it using standard rewrite rules at the web.config level. That's usually the most performant way to handle large redirects and pattern matched urls

Oct 29, 2018 11:39
Vote:

Something like

<rule name="ImageGalleryRedirect" stopProcessing="true">
   <match url="image-gallery/(.*)" />
   <action type="Redirect" url="redirect-gallery/{R:1}" redirectType="Permanent" />
</rule>
Edited, Oct 29, 2018 11:45
Vote:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for responding. That is the solution proposed, but Client wanted to use the BVN kind of administering the urls that are getting redirected, as this gives them more control over web.config changes. Any other suggestion with BVN 404?

Thanks,

Rams

Oct 29, 2018 12:01
Vote:

Yes we use BVN ourselves but in my expereince BVN is good for some flexibility for the client but I'd always try to use web.config for any known large scale rewrites. BVN hooks in to the routing at the application level so is a lot more expensive that web.config, if wildcards are not working you could try making sure the logging is working or pulling the source and debugging

Oct 29, 2018 12:24
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.