Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

PDFs served from globalAssets not refreshing

Vote:

Hello,

We have a fairly out of the box epi site.  It's version 10.4.  We have a problem that PDFs do not refresh when the requested from the server a second (or subsequent ) time.  In Edge and IE they will not refresh till you clear your cache.  In Chrome they will reload with a CTRL F5.  The documentation references caching but doesn't really give any details on the settings.  I've tried a later version Alloy site and the problem does not appear there.  My web.config is essentially the same.

Thanks for any direction you can give.

Jan 17, 2018 18:38
Vote:

Hi Daron. I don't think this is an issue with Episerver or the Alloy site. To me it sounds like the intended behavoiur. If you request the same static file, you want it to be cached in the browser. 

You can control the caching in theory, but in reality it can be very hard to make sure that the browser gets the latest version of a file if you use the exact same file name. I suggest you change the name of the file, or add a cache-busting querystring.

You can read more about caching here: https://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/

Edited, Jan 17, 2018 21:04
Vote:

Yes we've used the querystring as a workaround.  The thing is that the alloy site does exactly what we want it to do.  If we update the file it serves the new one, so somewhere EpiServer is telling the browser to load the old one.  We routinely replace files with the same name.  For example we have many links to xxx.com/calendar.pdf.  We've done this for every CMS we've used for the last 20 years.

Jan 17, 2018 21:55
Vote:

AS a side note we have the same issue with images.  

Jan 18, 2018 13:42
Vote:

We fixed a bug in 10.9.0 that sounds like your issue?

Jan 19, 2018 16:31
Vote:

Thank you so much.  I openned a support case with epi and they couldn't even recognize the issue.  This is exactly our issue.  

Jan 19, 2018 16:38
Vote:

I'll check with support so we can close that support case then cool (Feel free to mark my previous post as an answer so it's easier for us to find the unanswered forum questions)

Edited, Jan 19, 2018 16:45
Vote:

We have had a similar issue, when working on 10.8 . The PDFs and images from globalAssets aren't getting refreshed.; Can someone please guide us on this ? 

Is there any config setting to make a particular mediaType[PDF] to get the latest copy always ? 

Kindly assist us at the earliest.

Mar 18, 2018 16:29
Vote:

@srinivas If you look at the answer by @john-philip it might be fixed in 10.9.. so in 10.8 the bug is still there. Try upgrade and see if that will solve your issue. And also make sure you do not cache the files since it might be an issue on the browser. I know that IE is caching files hard on client side.

Mar 18, 2018 18:37
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.