Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Using Key Vault to store connection strings and storage access keys in Azure

Vote:

Hi!

I was thinking about using Azure Key Vault to store connection strings and storage access keys. Has anybody implemented this kind of solution with Episerver?

Aug 23, 2017 12:49
Vote:

this question has been hanging around in my browser tabs for a while and I'm trying in background to get around this limitation, but realized finally that this is not possible without refactoring some of the things.

Essentially I was able to trick Cms parts to get connection string from source other than web.config with the help of `IDatabaseConnectionResolver` interface. However, it's not true everywhere. For instance, if we take the same A/B testing package (`EPiServer.Marketing.KPI.Dal.DatabaseContext`to be specific) it uses entity framework behind the scene and is constructing `DbContext` directly passing in name of the connection string:

public DatabaseContext() : base("name=EPiServerDB")

So IMHO, there are lot of places inside Episerver that needs to be refactored in order to support other sources for the connection info (not only to database) than web.config file.

And knowing setup in .Net Core - think this might be coming soon.

Oct 19, 2017 12:13
Vote:

Thank you Valdis! I had a feeling that it might be impossible or require a lot of refactoring.

Oct 19, 2017 18:52
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.