Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Problem with creating custom properties.

Vote:

l'm new to Episerver and i want to create a custom property, especially a drop down list property in which i can add the options in edit mode. I searched through the documentation and i couldn't understand the process they have mentioned. Can i get a clear description of process of creating the custom dropdown property? 

Jul 12, 2017 11:38
Vote:

The basics of creating a dropdown are here:

http://world.episerver.com/documentation/developer-guides/CMS/Content/Properties/built-in-property-types/Single-or-multiple-list-options/

In summary, you need to create a class which implements ISelectionFactory. To implement that interface, you need a method called GetSelections which returns an IEnumarable of ISelectItem. Within that method, it's up to you how you create that list. The example above uses hard-coded strings but you'd probably want to pull it from a datasource of some kind (e.g. a property on the homepage).

Once you've got your SelectionFactory created, you just need to annotate the property you want to appear as a dropdown with a [SelectOne] attribute, for example:

[SelectOne(SelectionFactoryType=typeof(MySelectionFactory))]

And that's it!

Jul 12, 2017 15:14
Vote:

Hi Paul, Thank you. That helped me to understand well :) 

Jul 12, 2017 16:32
Vote:

I have created my custom dropdown property as My_Prop and i have annotated the property with the [Select Many] Attribute.

My property looks like this : 

[SelectMany(SelectionFactoryType = typeof(My_Prop))]
public virtual string dropdown { get; set; }

Can you please tell me how to render this property in the view?  I tried @Html.PropertyFor(x=>x.dropdown), but this is not helpful as i'm not getting the list in the web page.

Jul 13, 2017 6:10
Vote:

Hi Bhargav,

When adding a SelectMany to a string property you will get your selected values as a comma separated string. You will need to split the values by comma yourself.

I would suggest that you create display templates for your property according to Joel's blog http://joelabrahamsson.com/episerver-7-and-mvc-how-to-customize-rendering-of-properties/ or Dejan's reply to this post.

@Html.DisplayFor(x => x.CurrentPage.dropdown, "CommaSeparatedString")

And in the view do something like

@model string
@if (Model != null)
{
    foreach (var item in Model.split( new [] { ',' }, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries))
    {
        // output your item
    }
}

This code is just quickly thrown together so you might need to do some adjustments.

Jul 13, 2017 7:52
Vote:

Hi Alf, My custom property class looks like this : 

namespace Enterprise.Models.Properties
{
                       public class My_Prop : ISelectionFactory
                      {
                            public IEnumerable<ISelectItem> GetSelections(ExtendedMetadata metadata)
                            {

var MyDrop = new ISelectItem[]
                                     {
                                                   new SelectItem() { Text = "Car", Value = "Car" },
                                                   new SelectItem() { Text = "Home", Value = "Home" },

new SelectItem() { Text = "MotorBike", Value = "MotorBike"}

};

return MyDrop;
                                }
                       }
}

and i've Annotated the property in the my page as below :

[UIHint(UIHint.LongString)]

I've created the display template which will ovveride the actual LongString property, which goes like this : 

LongString.cshtml (path : ~/Views/Shared/DisplayTemplates) - in the solution   

@model string

@if (Model != null)
{
<select>
@foreach (var item in Model.Split(new[] { ',' }, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries))
{
<option> @item </option>
}
</select>

}

And the view in which i want my property to be displayed as dropdown, is : 

@model Enterprise.Models.Pages.StartPage
@using Enterprise.Models.Properties
@{
             ViewBag.Title = "Index";
             Layout = "~/Views/Shared/Layouts/_Root.cshtml";
}
<html>
<body>
<div class="container">
@Html.PropertyFor(x => x.maincontent)
</div>
<div>
@Html.DisplayFor(x=>x.dropdown,"LongString")
</div>
</body>
</html> 

Still i couldn't get the list in my web page. Did i  do something wrong? 

Jul 13, 2017 11:00
Vote:

I think it's better if you're using something else than Episerver's built in UIHints. Come up with something new that you use in the UIHint attribute as well as the filename of your .cshtml

I don't think you need the UIHint attribute since you give the Tag in the view

@Html.DisplayFor(x=>x.dropdown,"LongString")

So in my case

and I have created \Views\Shared\DisplayTemplates\CommaSeparatedString.cshtml

@model string

@if (Model != null)
{
	<select>
		@foreach (var item in Model.Split(new[] { ',' }, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries))
		{
			<option> @item </option>
		}
	</select>
}

and in the Index.cshtml

@Html.DisplayFor(x => x.dropdown, "CommaSeparatedString")

The name "CommaSeparatedString" is just something I came up with. Feel free to use another name as long as it's not a predefined value in Episerver, such as the ones on the UIHint class

Edited, Jul 13, 2017 11:35
Vote:

I tried changing the name of display template still nothing is being rendered. 

@model string

@if (Model != null)
{
	<select>
		{
			<option> @item </option>
		}
	</select>

}

The above  piece of code is for rendering this list that i've created here  right?

public IEnumerable<ISelectItem> GetSelections(ExtendedMetadata metadata)
                            {

var MyDrop = new ISelectItem[] 
                                     {
                                                   new SelectItem() { Text = "Car", Value = "Car" },
                                                   new SelectItem() { Text = "Home", Value = "Home" },

new SelectItem() { Text = "MotorBike", Value = "MotorBike"}

};

return MyDrop;
                                }
                       }

Or do i have to make any adjustments?

Jul 13, 2017 11:49
Vote:

Hi.

To start with I see that we mixed up an attribute. Use SelectOne instead of SelectMany.

SelectMany gives you a checkbox list and that is where Comma Separated String comes in. You can throw the DisplayTemplate away. Sorry about that

The SelectionFactory and SelectItem part is only for creating the drop down for the editor.

Also since you use DisplayFor instead of PropertyFor, you won't see the editor part in the One Page Edit mode. You need to switch to "All Properties" to be able to edit the field, and see the drop down.

Jul 13, 2017 12:16
Vote:

Thank you Alf.

Now I've used PropertyFor instead of DisplayFor and in "All properties"  i can see the dropdown that i've created but why can't I  see it in the web page? 

Jul 13, 2017 12:29
Vote:

Did you remove the Display Template part?

can you see it on the web page if you select a value in the drop down?

Jul 13, 2017 12:32
Vote:

Yes  I've given @Html.PropertyFor(x=>x.dropdown). And i selected a value and i can see only one value in the web page.

Jul 13, 2017 12:34
Vote:

And I guess that is the value you selected?

When you are inside episerver, but not in All Properties you should see a blue bon around the place where your view renders the property.

if you have selected a value, the blue box is around the value.

Clicking inside the blue box should open so that you can see the drop down.

Jul 13, 2017 12:37
Vote:

Yes its the value that i've selected, but on clicking in that  blue box, its letting me to change the selected value there itself instead of displaying the dropdown as you said.

Jul 13, 2017 12:42
Vote:

I think this thread may help you with getting the editor to appear correctly:

https://world.episerver.com/Modules/Forum/Pages/Thread.aspx?id=145743

Jul 13, 2017 13:09
Vote:

In which part of the solution should i create the EditorDescriptor class? 

Jul 13, 2017 13:19
Vote:

Thank you Alf and Paul. I've got the dropdown in my web page thanks to both of you. I just have one more doubt. Can i add more values to the dropdown while i'm in edit mode.

Jul 13, 2017 13:49
Vote:

In that case your SelectionFactory must get the options from another area, for example the StartPage since it's easy to find. Or Create some kind of settings page/block.

Jul 13, 2017 14:04
Vote:

Sorry I dint understand .Could you please elaborate ? 

Jul 13, 2017 14:14
Vote:

You have your SelectioNFactory that is currently returning hard coded options.

A simple way to be to change your SelectionFactory to read the values from another content.

For example add a property to your startpage. Fetch the StartPage and read that property, split it with a good limiter and for each string after the split you select a new SelectItem.

Jul 13, 2017 14:19
Vote:

Thinking of it, there's an OLD function in Episerver that I don't think many use nowadays.

Can you try to add "DropDownList" as UIHint on your property?

Go to your page type in admin mode.

Click on the property that should have this dropdown list

Click the radio button "Use custom settings" and start to add your options.

Jul 13, 2017 14:23
Vote:

Okay  I understood. I have to change the selectionfactory to get values from other property in the page, then i can add them to the SelectItem. That's it right?

Jul 13, 2017 14:25
Vote:

Yeah, i added the DropDownList as UIHint for my property.But it is showing that this class doesn't have any custom settings.

Jul 13, 2017 14:34
Vote:

Could you try adding the attribute [BackingType(PropertyDropDownList)] to the property?

Edited, Jul 13, 2017 14:40
Vote:

No, I coudn't. It is showing an error that PropertyDropDownList is invalid in the context. I even added the namespace Episerver.SpecializedProperties.

Jul 13, 2017 14:48
Vote:

Where do you get this errors?

Here's an example of where we're using that property

[UIHint("DropDownList")]
[BackingType(typeof(EPiServer.SpecializedProperties.PropertyDropDownList))]
[Display(
    Name = "Tab color",
    Description = "Color for the tab and rest of the content",
    GroupName = SystemTabNames.Content,
    Order = 200)]
public virtual string TabColor { get; set; }
Jul 13, 2017 14:50
Vote:

Yeah.i added the options.Thank you. But now it is only displaying one value, i mean its not like a dropdown list but it is displayed like a string.

Jul 13, 2017 14:55
Vote:

Ok, sometimes changing BackingField for an existing property requires more work. Can you try renaming the property? = tells Episerver to create a new Property.

Jul 13, 2017 15:48
Vote:

I renamed it to myprop. you want me to create a new property of same type?

Jul 14, 2017 5:43
Vote:

I was thinking of only renaming the property on the page (confusing that we have the .net class property as well as the episerver "property" = field on content).

Just adding a 2 on it will work for the test.

public virtual string MyProperty2 {get;set;}

Jul 14, 2017 8:52
Vote:

Okay, anyways i renamed it. What shoudl i do now?

Jul 14, 2017 9:12
Vote:

Rebuild, go to episerver edit mode and check if the property now is a dropdown field.

Jul 14, 2017 9:35
Vote:

No still its not being displayed as a dropdown :(

Jul 14, 2017 9:56
Vote:

Not even in All Properties mode?

In that case I guess it's easier to continue letting the SelectionFactory fetching the options from another content.

Jul 14, 2017 9:57
Vote:

I can see it as dropdown in All properties mode, but on the page its being displayed like a string.

Jul 14, 2017 10:02
Vote:

Ok, this works completely fine for me when I'm trying in the Alloy Templates

In the Page Type

[UIHint("DropDownList")]
[BackingType(typeof(EPiServer.SpecializedProperties.PropertyDropDownList))]
public virtual string Dropdown { get; set; }

In the view

@Html.PropertyFor(x => x.CurrentPage.Dropdown)

Note that if you're using your PageType as Model, you don't need x.CurrentPage, it would be enough to do x.Dropdown

• Go to admin mode
  • select the tab ContentType
  • Find the Page Type where this property is added
  • There is a row in the table
    Name: DropDown
    Type: Drop-down list
    And some other fields that I don't think are relevant right now
  • Click on that row to open that property
  • Click on the tab Custom Settings
  • Below "Drop-down list options", click the radio button "Use custom settings"
  • Add your options under "Settings", don't forget to press the button "Add" for each option
  • Click on save

Now the property should be ready to be used

• Go to edit mode
  • Find or create a page of your page type
  • Go to All Properties mode
  • Find your property
  • It should be a dropdown with your options
  • Go back to On-Page Editing
  • Scroll to where you added the .PropertyFor() for the DropDown
  • You should see a blue box
  • Click on the blue box and a small box with a dropdown should come up
  • The dropdown should contain your options

Just one thing for me is that I'm not able to get the options in the dropdown (bug maybe?) but at least I can get the dropdowns.

Need to look a bit more if something is broken or if I am doing something wrong.

Jul 14, 2017 13:17
Vote:

Yeah even i can't get options in the dropdown.Anyways thank you so  much Alf for taking your time. :)

Jul 14, 2017 13:20
Vote:

Jul 14, 2017 13:22
Vote:

http://epideveloper.blogspot.com/2013/10/episerver-7-attribute-for-rendering-drop-down-list.html 

Hey Alf, see if this might help us. In the above link he created a custom attribute to render the dropdown list with options.

Jul 14, 2017 13:47
Vote:

That's another way to manage a SelectionFactory that we already talked about. But you still need to change code and deploy to edit which options to display.

Jul 14, 2017 13:49
Vote:

okay.but even  if i were to such thing, what if i still can't get ito be displayed as a dropdown.

Jul 14, 2017 14:31
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.