Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Exception when "saving activity entry"

Vote:

I have an episerver website which throws an exception with the message "Failed to save activity entry." on a regular basis. I get that this has to do with saving changes to content but I cannot figure out why this happens. There seems to be something wrong with the connectionstring but I cannot get why the site is running fine but this particular feature does not. Worth mentioning is that the site is running as a webapp in azure.

As a result I do not seem to get any "recently changed" items in my widget which I guess is to be expected because of the Exceptions I'm seeing.

Does someone has an idea why this might occur and how I can solve it?

Full stacktrace:

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.GetKeyValuePair(String connectionString, Int32 currentPosition, StringBuilder buffer, Boolean useOdbcRules, String& keyname, String& keyvalue)
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.ParseInternal(Hashtable parsetable, String connectionString, Boolean buildChain, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean firstKey)
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions..ctor(String connectionString, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean useOdbcRules)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString..ctor(String connectionString)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnectionOptions(String connectionString, DbConnectionOptions previous)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnectionPoolGroup(DbConnectionPoolKey key, DbConnectionPoolGroupOptions poolOptions, DbConnectionOptions& userConnectionOptions)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ConnectionString_Set(DbConnectionPoolKey key)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.set_ConnectionString(String value)
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.ConnectionContext.d__2.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.SqlTransientErrorsRetryPolicy.d__0`1.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.ConnectionContext.d__6.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.SqlDatabaseHandler.d__41.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.SqlDatabaseHandler.<>c__DisplayClass18.d__1a.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.SqlDatabaseHandler.d__1f.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.DataAccess.ActivityDB.d__14.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.DataAbstraction.Activities.DefaultActivityRepository.d__0.MoveNext()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.ArgumentException: Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.GetKeyValuePair(String connectionString, Int32 currentPosition, StringBuilder buffer, Boolean useOdbcRules, String& keyname, String& keyvalue)
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.ParseInternal(Hashtable parsetable, String connectionString, Boolean buildChain, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean firstKey)
at System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions..ctor(String connectionString, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean useOdbcRules)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString..ctor(String connectionString)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnectionOptions(String connectionString, DbConnectionOptions previous)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnectionPoolGroup(DbConnectionPoolKey key, DbConnectionPoolGroupOptions poolOptions, DbConnectionOptions& userConnectionOptions)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ConnectionString_Set(DbConnectionPoolKey key)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.set_ConnectionString(String value)
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.ConnectionContext.d__2.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.ConnectionContext.d__6.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.SqlDatabaseHandler.d__41.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.SqlDatabaseHandler.<>c__DisplayClass18.d__1a.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.Data.Providers.SqlDatabaseHandler.d__1f.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.DataAccess.ActivityDB.d__14.MoveNext()
at EPiServer.DataAbstraction.Activities.DefaultActivityRepository.d__0.MoveNext()<--->

Edited, Dec 01, 2017 13:27
Vote:

Hi, Mårten,

I haven't seen this error before, but given that you are running this as a webapp, could it be that your connectionString in web.config is missing in Azure settings or that perhaps something is missing/wrong in the settings?

BR,
Marija

Dec 04, 2017 12:34
Vote:

Hi Marija,

Thank you for your reply. I moved the configuration settings from azure into my web.config, for some non obvious reason the problem was solved by that.

Br,

Mårten

Dec 14, 2017 13:23
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.