Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Several GroupSettings attributes?

Vote:

I get the following error, but I can't find any duplicate attributes in my classes (or base classes). Any idea?

ERROR EPiServer.Global: 1.2.5 Unhandled exception in ASP.NET
System.InvalidOperationException: It's not allowed to add several GroupSettings attributes for properties within the same class with the same name.
at EPiServer.Shell.UI.Rest.DefaultMetadataStoreModelCreator.GenerateInvalidOperationException(String baseMessage, ExtendedMetadata propertyMetadata)
at EPiServer.Shell.UI.Rest.DefaultMetadataStoreModelCreator.ExtractMetadataFromProperties(ExtendedMetadata metadata, MetadataStoreModel MetadataStoreModel, LocalizationService localizationService, UIDescriptorRegistry uiDescriptorRegistry, ISelectionFactory[] selectionFactories)
at EPiServer.Shell.UI.Rest.DefaultMetadataStoreModelCreator.CreateFromModelMetadata(ExtendedMetadata metadata, LocalizationService localizationService, UIDescriptorRegistry uiDescriptorRegistry, ISelectionFactory[] selectionFactories, Boolean alwaysCreateChildProperties)
at EPiServer.Shell.UI.Rest.DefaultMetadataStoreModelCreator.Create(ModelMetadata metadata)
at EPiServer.Shell.UI.Rest.MetadataStore.Get(String id, String modelAccessor)
at lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] )
at System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters)
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass42.b__41()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeActionMethod(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass37.<>c__DisplayClass39.b__33()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass4f.b__49()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass4f.b__49()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeActionMethodWithFilters(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass25.<>c__DisplayClass2a.b__20()
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass25.b__22(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeAction(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at EPiServer.Shell.Services.Rest.RestControllerBase.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Apr 21, 2016 13:48
Vote:

Also, no mentions of "GroupSettings" in my code:

Find all "GroupSettings", Subfolders, Find Results 1, Entire Solution, ""
Matching lines: 0 Matching files: 0 Total files searched: 1258

Apr 21, 2016 13:52
Vote:

I've duplicated the affected page type, and no error is thrown for the duplicate. This leads me to believe that there are some corrupt values in the database. But where to look?

Apr 22, 2016 10:40
Vote:

Have you tried reverting the content type to default in admin mode?

Apr 22, 2016 10:51
Vote:

Using guids on all pagetypes?

Check tblContentType and see if you can find any duplicates there. Also check admin if you can see anything strange there with some pagetypes that lack code

Apr 22, 2016 10:54
Vote:

Yes, I've tried to revert to default. All page types have a GUID, and there isn't any pagetypes lacking code. I didn't find any duplicates in tblContentType. Any other tables I should take a look at?

Do you know when an IMetadataExtender is executed? One idea I have is to create an empty IMetadataExtender just to look at what's in the ExtendedMetadata object.

Apr 22, 2016 11:34
Vote:

What version of CMS are you using?

Apr 22, 2016 11:59
Vote:

CORE: 9.7.3

UI: 9.4.4

Apr 22, 2016 12:17
Vote:

As allways, the most obvious solution is usually correct. Some EditorDescriptor messed with the metadata. Worked in 8x, not in 9x.

Apr 22, 2016 13:28
Vote:

Ok, problem solved then?

Apr 22, 2016 14:22
Vote:

Hi Torjus,

I'm encountering the same error, and I'm curious to know more details as to what you did to resolve the issue. My solution has several EditorDescriptors...

/Kristian

Sep 27, 2016 9:00
Vote:

I'm getting the same error and would really appreciate some more details

Sep 30, 2016 16:21
Vote:

Start removing editor descriptors until it works to find the culprit?

Sep 30, 2016 16:29
Vote:

After some help from support, I managed to drill the problem down to this beeing used on the PageType with the problems:

[Display(GroupName = "EPiServerCMS_SettingsPanel")]

Once the GroupName was changed, the problem went away

Oct 03, 2016 15:03
Vote:

Ok, probably wise to use the static I guess

GroupName = EPiServer.DataAbstraction.SystemTabNames.Settings

instead to avoid magic strings

Oct 03, 2016 15:24
Ted
Vote:

On some versions this has also been known to happen when using the constant SystemTabNames.PageHeader, which essentially is "EPiServerCMS_SettingsPanel".

Oct 05, 2018 13:38
Vote:

I wonder what made you answer 2 years old thread? :)

Oct 07, 2018 4:38
Vote:

Maybe Ted wants to get some more points.... ;-)

Oct 07, 2018 20:56
Ted
Vote:

I enjoy returning to the vintage classics from time to time, and I happened to stumble across this problem while doing some work on an old CMS 9 site. :)

Oct 09, 2018 16:34
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.