Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Inheritance of pages

Vote:

Hi!

I have a problem with page inheritance. Lets say I have this page tree:

Root

MainStartPage

Products

Jacket

Sweater

Shop1 

Products

Jeans

Shop2

Products

Hat

Now, both Shop1 and Shop2 sells all the products under MainStartPage. In addition, Shop1 sells the product "jeans" and Shop2 sells the product "hat".
I want to "inherit" all the products from MainStartPage, and merge these with the productlist for each shop. So far - so good.

The problem comes when I'm in context Shop1, and click on the product "Sweater". Then I jump out of context, and find myself in context MainStartPage. I want the url for sweater to be Shop1 when I am in Shop1 context.

Does EPiServer have any smart solutions for inheriting pages?

Oct 21, 2016 10:50
Vote:

Hi, Torunn,

There is a functionality called "Fetch content from other EPiServer CMS page", where you could set the master product for each shop's product. It's under Shortcut. You can still override each property.

There are two things to think about that come to my mind: search and SEO.

Search will show all three, so you'd need to filter out if this is not intended.

Probably, if there are no differences in content between these three pages, you'd set a canonical URL to master one, ex.

I am not sure what works for you, but you get an idea of what needs to be considered :)

BR,

Marija

Oct 26, 2016 23:27
Vote:

Hi Marija!

Thanks for the reply. This is the solution I went for; automatically creating pages under each "shop" which fetch content from the master. Thanks for reminding me of the issues with search, I hadn't considered that. The editors should not be able to override the properties, so I'm not sure how I can solve that.

Oct 27, 2016 7:51
Vote:

Yes, automatic creation is the best way if you have the same structure.

The editors should not be able to override the properties, so I'm not sure how I can solve that. => Could you simply remove the edit access rights for them for those parts of the tree?

Have a great day!

Marija

Oct 27, 2016 9:46
Vote:

Thanks, that could be a solution. But in this case, it wouldn't work, because they need to be able to edit one specific property on the page. They also need the ability to create their own products that are not inherited from the master.

So, I need to set readable on specific properties... don't know if this is possible?

Oct 27, 2016 15:26
Vote:

You can set access rights on a specific tab (built in functionality). There`s also some custom code that allows to set it for a specific property.

Hope this helps.

Frederik

Oct 28, 2016 2:45
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.