Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Issue with Block Language Translation - Episerver CMS 8

Vote:

Hi,

I am facing issue with block language translation on page on Episerver CMS 8.

I have page with ContentArea property on which i put multiple Blocks but when i change page language (for e.g english to swedish) all the blocks get disappeared/removed. ContentAea Property is CultureSpecific and also properties inside Block is also Culture Specific. Also for BlockType LanguageSettings is disabled.

Though its logical that for new language CultureSpecific properties of page will be blank but feel that it should hold for block atleast as its not good idea that editor should create a same block all again for different language. Cumbersome is when you have more blocks on page and for new language editors have to create all blocks again.

Has anyone faced the small problem or have solution for this?

Thanks,

iliyas

Sep 16, 2015 10:47
Vote:

Hi, maybe some ideas could be found here: http://cjsharp.com/blog/2013/04/19/automatically-populating-page-or-block-type-properties-for-a-language-branch-in-episerver-7/

I think also LanguageManager AddOn does this. You can choose to create new language branch out of existing language content.

Sep 16, 2015 11:25
Vote:

Hi Ilyas,

1. You can add a feature request, but this is a built-in behaviour and very unlikely that this will be accepted.
2. hook up an event handler to LoadedDefaultContent and check if ContentLink is not null or empty if so copy the values from Master language

[ModuleDependency(typeof(InitializationModule))]
public class SetDefaultLanguage : IInitializableModule
{
public void Initialize(InitializationEngine context)
{
context.Locate.Advanced.GetInstance<IContentEvents>().LoadedDefaultContent 
+= delegate(object sender, ContentEventArgs args)
{
if (!ContentReference.IsNullOrEmpty(args.ContentLink))
{
//For a new language branch will contentLink not be empty

//get master language

//set the value
}
};
}

Regards
/K

Sep 16, 2015 11:29
Vote:

Yes, this also is possible, but then - we are loosing flexibility to give editor an option to choose whether to copy content or not, that you can get out of LanguageManager AddOn. Editors are demanding people :)

Sep 16, 2015 11:34
Vote:

Thanks Valdis and Khurram for your suggestions. Need to check whether LanguageManager AddOn does the things which i want.

Alternate solution is to have language enable for the blocks same as for pages(For e.g English and swedish) so that editors don't have to create a new one. But in my case languagesettings is disabled by default for all Blocks.

is there any settings to enable language settings for all blocks or am i missing something?

Sep 16, 2015 12:40
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.