Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Help with installing EPiServer CMO

Vote:

I'm trying to install EPiServer CMO like this:

install-package episerver.cmo

It works for a while, and then when it says "Resolving actions to install package 'EPiServer.Cmo.7.6.1'", it throws this error message:

install-package : Already referencing a newer version of 'Microsoft.jQuery.Unobtrusive.Validation'..
At line:1 char:1
+ install-package EPiServer.Cmo
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Install-Package], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PackageManagement.PowerShellCmdlets.InstallPackageCommand

Does anyone know what to do?

Jul 07, 2015 16:04
Vote:

If you have already installed jQuery validation package and it's newer version - try to install pacakge using "ignore dependencies" switch.

install-package episerver.cmo -IgnoreDependencies

But not sure whether CMO module will be able to find your validation scripts if they are newer version. Is it possible for you to install required version by CMO of jQuery validation in your site?

Jul 08, 2015 0:12
Vote:

The installation worked with the -IgnoreDependencies parameter, but now it tells me it doesn't have a connection string, which it doesn't.

I have never installed CMO before; should I use the same database as the CMS, or should I create a seperate database for the CMO?

Jul 08, 2015 9:34
Vote:

You should be safe to run against the same DB

Jul 08, 2015 12:05
Vote:

It looks like you are trying to install CMO from the scratch using NuGet package. Unfortunately, installing CMO as NuGet package is not fully supported right now. CMO NuGet package contains assemblies only and we use it to publish CMO updates (usually bug fixes).

The usual steps when installing CMO for EPiServer CMS 7.x (scenario #1):

• Install EPiServer CMO module on a website using Deployment Center (including CMO module, UI, database, aggregation and thumbnail services). Sometimes you have to check "Show all sites" option in the Deployment Center in order to see target site.
  • Install the latest CMO NuGet package in Visual Studio to get latest binaries.

This is not ideal installation path, but it works pretty good for EPiServer CMS 7.x sites.

You can use the following steps when you need a new EPiServer CMS 8 website and CMO (scenario #2):

• Create a new EPiServer CMS 7.x site
  • Install CMO using Deployment Center
  • Upgrade all EPiServer NuGet packages to latest version, so in the end of the day you have a new website with latest EPiServer CMS 8.x and CMO.

Starting from some later EPiServer CMS 7.x version it is not possible to use Deployment Center to install modules, because Deployment Center fails when reading site settings that were moved from the web.config to the site database. Now Deployment Center is obsolete.

You have to deploy CMO manually on an existing EPiServer CMS 7.x or 8.x website when you cannot install CMO using Deployment Center (scenario #3).

I think the easiest way is creating a new dummy EPiServer 8 website with CMO and separate CMO database (as it is described in scenario #2). Then you can copy CMO files and configuration to your target site and use that CMO database on a target site. Then you install the latest CMO NuGet package in Visual Studio to get latest binaries.

We see this CMO installation problem and I hope it will be solved soon.

Jul 08, 2015 15:07
Vote:

Dmytro; when installing CMO via the deployment center the deployment center tells me it has created the wizard:

Wizard created

But, I can't see any wizard. I'm so far unable to install it this way.

Jul 13, 2015 14:54
Vote:

Please check if wizard window is not focused and hidden behind the main installation window. Try to switch to wizard using Alt+Tab.

Jul 13, 2015 15:00
Vote:

It isn't, unfortunately. Do you know some other way to get the files?

Jul 13, 2015 15:02
Vote:

Jul 13, 2015 15:04
Vote:

Yes, that seems like the same problem.

Jul 13, 2015 15:13
Vote:

Thank you for your help, I have submitted an incident :)

Edited, Jul 13, 2015 15:50
Vote:

I have another questiom; in the installation process I'm given the option to install the Live Monitor integration with CMO. Since I already have live monitor, will it manage to use that installation with CMO?

Jul 13, 2015 16:08
Vote:

CMO will silently install Live Monitor module if it is not deployed on target website. It checks whether EPiServer.Trace.dll exists in the site bin folder.
By Live Monitor I mean old module that can be installed in Deployment Center. It should be possible to install corresponding NuGet package EPiServer.LiveMonitor 7.x and upgrade it to the new version 8.

Jul 16, 2015 17:55
Vote:

Dmytro; Do you have any news on the CMO installation problems with CMS 8+ that are mentioned above?

Thanks! 

Edited, Aug 27, 2015 14:35
Vote:

@Dmytro, in scenario #3 which files should be copied and where to? I thought I managed to do this step but no CMO option is visible in the EPiServer edit mode and the CMO plugin is not visible in the plugin manager even after restarting the site and clearing temporary files.

Nov 30, 2015 12:47
Vote:

Well, I don't have a full list of CMO files documented anywhere. It should be something like this:
The whole folder and it's content:

• /modules/_protected/CMO

The following files in /bin:

• ComponentArt.Silverlight.Server.dll
  • ComponentArt.UIFramework.lic
  • ComponentArt.Web.Visualization.Charting.dll
  • ComponentArt.Web.Visualization.Charting.Shader.dll
  • EFExtensions.dll
  • EPiServer.Cmo.AggregationContract.dll
  • EPiServer.Cmo.Cms.dll
  • EPiServer.Cmo.Core.dll
  • EPiServer.Cmo.Gadgets.dll
  • EPiServer.Cmo.Trace.dll
  • EPiServer.Cmo.UI.dll

Also see web.config changes after CMO installation.

Nov 30, 2015 15:15
Vote:

@Anders Gustafsson
We have released CMO 7.7 that is compatible with CMS 9 and enable users to upgrade to latest platform version and run CMO. However, there is no news about installation right now.

Nov 30, 2015 17:13
Vote:

@Dmytry, thanks for the list!

The install seems to be successful and no error messages show up for me now but the CMO tab doesn't show up. I've reset the IIS and removed temporary files but still it doesn't show up. I also tried to navigate to the CMO directly by navigating to mysite.com/episerver/CMO where I suppose it would be located.

Any ideas?

Edited, Nov 30, 2015 20:41
Vote:

It sounds like CMO module is not initialized properly and/or CMO assemblies are not associated with CMO modules.

Please check that you have all CMO-related changes in your web.config. It should be easy to compare config files from 2 sites where CMO is installed on one of them.

Make sure that /modules/_protected is configured as a home for protected modules. This is default configuration in CMS 8, something like that:

<episerver.packaging protectedVirtualPath="~/EPiServer/" protectedPath="modules\_protected"/>

Other protected modules like Chell, CMS and Packaging UI should be deployed in that folder.

Make sure that CMO resources are deployed in /modules/_protected/CMO folder:

Dec 01, 2015 11:07
Vote:

Dmytro, Is it still at this time Scenario #3 that is applicatable if you have CMS 9.6.1? Is CMO a dying product? Why isnt this intallation proceedure thruu Package Managment Console updated at this time (april 2016)?

Thank you for any answer.

Regards.

Apr 06, 2016 16:05
Vote:

@Gosso, as you probably have already seen in the Spring 16 Features list, A/B testing is going to be integrated into the Edit UI to provide better user experience and make changes testing easy and natural. It is possible to install A/B testing as usual NuGet package.

Edited, Jul 12, 2016 11:28
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.