Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

CMS 6 -> 7 Upgrade

Vote:

Hi would anyone know what would be the cleanist way of upgrading an existing episerver site using episerver 6 to episerver 7? My current thinking is that I create a new site in 7 and then build the relevant page templates using the old site as a base. With kind regards, SK.
Mar 16, 2015 16:27
Vote:

I guess it depends on how much customizations you have made in the old site. Upgrading can be pretty straight-forward. However, based on my own experiences - starting from scratch might give you a benefit since you can then "do it right" from the beginning. In this case you might want to consider updating to MVC and also latest version of EPI with Nuget.... You can also export content from the old site and import into the new.

Mar 17, 2015 0:05
Vote:

Depends on code base size and what customer expects from the upgrade. Recently had a case when we actually decided to go for greenfield (start from scratch) instead of upgrade just because code base was not big enopugh and customer expected to have latest and greatest also from editor perspective. Which may not be the case when doing "just" upgrade (think about blocks and content areas for instance). If you just update crappy code base to latest EPiServer - it still will be crappy web site running on latest EPiServer.

Mar 17, 2015 0:49
Vote:

Some question

1. how big is the code base

2.web forms/mvc

3.how big the content (pages)

4.do you use composer

5.how many images you have

i just finished 3 months of upgrade from 6 to 7.5 because our 3 sites are huge with tons of media.

so it depends. also we are "stuck" now with the web forms.

Mar 18, 2015 9:34
Vote:

1. how big is the code base
On the initial VS check it looks a decent size, 20 projects.

2.web forms/mvc
Currently web forms.

3.how big the content (pages)
Not sure, still waiting for the database so i can run the project up.

4.do you use composer
Never used it before?

5.how many images you have
Again still not sure at this stage, perhaps tomorrow.

Hopefullly this helps.

Mar 18, 2015 18:10
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.