Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Retrieve user attributes from AD

Vote:

I'm using multiplexing providers, SqlServer together with Windows (WindowsMembershipProvider and WindowsRoleProvider) providers, in my setup.

My client wants to pull out additional attributes from AD, more specifically which department the user belongs to (which is a attribute on the user object in AD). How can this be achieved? Is it possible to retrieve using standard components (configuration?), or do we have to write our own LDAP queries?

Feb 09, 2015 10:15
Vote:

If you don't want to code LDAP-queries you could suggest adding roles in the AD for each department. Use some kind of prefix or recognisable pattern to find it in a user's role list.

Otherwise it's quite common to have a scheduled job that reads over LDAP and stores info on the profile object or a "contact card" content type related to the user.

Edited, Feb 09, 2015 11:14
Vote:

Thank you for your suggestions Johan.

I think we will keep using roles with defined pattern (your first suggestion is already in place) instead of switching to a scheduled job with LDAP for more precise "contact card" data.

Feb 16, 2015 13:26
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.