Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Getting Page Data Without Find

Vote:

Hi Everyone,
My company is using Episerver 8 and it works well for us. We currently don't have it in the budget to get Episerver Find, but are looking to pull data from Episerver through a console app and use that to create a seperate solr 5 index using that data. 

My issue is, I don't see any way of pulling data outside Episerver without using Episerver find. I've found the service at, /IndexingService/IndexingService.svc, but am getting the error.. 

Service

Endpoint not found.

Is this the service I should use for this? If so, how do I fix this error?

-Paul

Dec 17, 2015 17:11
Vote:

The IndexingService endpoint you mention is the built in EPiServer.Search module endpoint, which if active EPiServer will use to index the content itself. It creates a lucence index in the appdata folder. This is then used by the search boxes in the CMS page hierarchy panel within the CMS editor and in the Block and Media panels also.

This can be used for your search feature. It has its own API if you want to explore that option.

http://world.episerver.com/documentation/Items/Developers-Guide/Episerver-CMS/75/Search/Search/

Otherwise if you still want to use solr 5 perhaps a scheduled job running in the Site could perform the work you intend to do in the console app ? You could schedule it to run or run it manually.

regards,

Danny

Edited, Dec 17, 2015 17:50
Vote:

I would also recommend pushing the data instead. You can do this by listening to content events, e.g. when content is published. Would also recommend having a scheduled job too, since there aren't events for every operation an editor can do in Episerver, e.g. changing access rights recursively.

This will keep the index more up-to-date, than pulling data once in a while.

This is how Find works.

Dec 18, 2015 1:38
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.