Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Adjusting SQL Compability level, is it safe?

Vote:

When doing a 7 -> 7.5 update I had some issues. Executing "update-epidatabase" in the package manager console showed me the following error message:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Incorrect syntax near 'MERGE'. You may need to set the compatibility level of the current database to a higher value to enable this feature. See help
for the SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL option of ALTER DATABASE.

So I tried changing the compability level of the database from SQL Server 2000 (yeah, the database is pretty old) to 2008, and the update script executed successfully.

However - I'm wondering if this may have some unwanted side-effects that I should be aware of when I do this in our live environment?

Sep 23, 2014 12:29
Vote:

I believe there is no side effect for this, if you have no plan to access your database from old SQL Server version. Indeed, it should not be related to EPiServer at all, only the MERGE keyword exposed the issue:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510680.aspx

/Q

Sep 23, 2014 12:57
Vote:

There is no plan accessing the db from older SQL Server versions, so I guess we're good. Thank you.

Sep 24, 2014 11:31
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.