Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Context menu is missing in EPiserver7.0 published site

Vote:

Hi,

I have published EPiserver7.0 site in IIS but context menu is missing on test server.

I can see the menu on my development machine.

Jul 08, 2014 16:03
Vote:

Did you upload your  VPP too?
Is your basePath set correctly in the episerverframework.config?

Jul 08, 2014 17:25
Vote:

With context menu, do you mean the menu that you got in EPiServer 6 when you right clicked with mouse (as a logged in user)? If so, good news, that menu isn't anymore.

If not the right click menu, can you describe what menu you are referring to, screen shot of your browser window maybe?

Jul 08, 2014 21:46
Vote:

I think in EPiserver7.0 AppData folder is created and we have to give the basepath for AppData folder not the VPP folder.

I have given the basepath for AppData folder.

I know that right click menu is not available in 7.0

I am talking about menu which displays at right corner of the site in EPiserver7.0 which shows two link mentioned below.

Edit mode and view dashboard.

Jul 09, 2014 7:13
Vote:

So I assume this is your own custom site and not the Alloy sample site.

To get the menu you need to have in your layout for example:

@Html.RenderEPiServerQuickNavigator()

to get the menu rendered.

Jul 09, 2014 7:49
Vote:

Hi

Few pointers for you to trouble shoot the issue:

- have you looked at episerver logs?

- if the template doesn't have head tag with runat="server" no quicknavigator is rendered and there should be a warning in the logs

- when the page is loading, have a look at your browsers developer console

- any errors or warnings here?

Those missing resources are embedded to : EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.dll

- do you have that assembly in your bin directory?

(basically in theory if you drop the old CMS lang files to /lang folder those should be picked up for the localization too thus not getting those resources not found messages)

Jul 10, 2014 12:58
Vote:

1.There is no warning in episerver logs

2.This is the detail in browsers developer console

HTML1202: http://172.22.12.16/TellerNo/UI/CMS/Admin/ is running in Compatibility View because 'Display intranet sites in Compatibility View' is checked.

Admin

SCRIPT1002: Syntax error

system.js, line 2 character 1

dialog.js, line 2 character 1

episerverscriptmanager.js, line 2 character 1

SCRIPT5009: 'epi' is undefined

Admin, line 50 character 1

SCRIPT5007: The value of the property '$' is null or undefined, not a Function object

Menu.aspx, line 80 character 9

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'Control': object is null or undefined

Menu.aspx, line 104 character 1

This is the code when click on Admin section.

DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >

<>

html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">

<>

head>

PublicTemplates - EPiServer CMS 7.0.586.1 (32 bit process)

title>

<>

body style="overflow:hidden;">

<>

div class="aspNetHidden">

<>

input type="hidden" name="__epiXSRF" id="__epiXSRF" value="q2lcgmJagTpYkqM2Omj7QkJcUFp1Hi4t7dBwCmyrNrQ=" />

<>

input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="/wEPDwULLTEwOTU2NDI3MjgPZBYCZg9kFgICAQ9kFgICAQ9kFgICAw8PFgYeBVdpZHRoGwAAAAAAAFlABwAAAB4GSGVpZ2h0GwAAAAAAAFlABwAAAB4EXyFTQgKAA2QWAgIBD2QWBGYPZBYCZg8PFgYfABsAAAAAAABZQAcAAAAfARsAAAAAAABZQAcAAAAfAgKAA2QWAmYPZBYCZg9kFgJmDw8WAh4KU291cmNlRmlsZQUgL1RlbGxlck5vL1VJL0NNUy9BZG1pbi9NZW51LmFzcHhkZAICDw8WBB8AHB8CAoACZBYCZg8PFgIfAwUkL1RlbGxlck5vL1VJL0NNUy9BZG1pbi9TaXRlSW5mby5hc3B4ZGRk5/k2SAl/R38RkWEWIHN/VS4KZNskYgDuwwEJUX8ZR78=" />

div>

<>

script src="/TellerNo/UI/CMS/javascript/system.aspx" type="text/javascript">

<>

script src="/util/javascript/system.js" type="text/javascript">

<>

script src="/util/javascript/dialog.js" type="text/javascript">

<>

script src="/TellerNo/UI/CMS/javascript/edit.js" type="text/javascript">

<>

script src="/util/javascript/episerverscriptmanager.js" type="text/javascript">

<>

script src="/TellerNo/UI/CMS/javascript/resizewindows.js" type="text/javascript">

Product licensed to vikas jain nets

table>

<>

script type="text/javascript">epi.routes.init("CMS");epi.routes.registerRoute("/modules/{moduleArea}/{controller}/{action}/{id}", {"action":"index","id":"","moduleArea":"App"});

<>

script type="text/javascript">

//

EPi.SetupEvents =

function()

{

EPi.AddEventListener(

"FullRegion_ctl00","mousedown",EPi.Resize.HorizontalDragStart);

EPi.AddEventListener(

"FullRegion_ctl00","dblclick",EPi.Resize.ResetWidth);

}

//]]>

script>

<>

script type='text/javascript'>

script>

body>

html>

3.EPiServer.CMS.Shell.UI.dll is there but of version 1.0.431.0.

I found this dll in modulesbin folder.

Jul 14, 2014 7:23
Vote:

I think it looks like you have updated the site from addon store in development environment but not in production and forgot to copy out the updated modulesbin below site root and the folders modules and modulesrepository from your vpp-folder.

Jul 14, 2014 8:38
Vote:

It looks like you do not have EPiServer installed on the machine. Have a look in you config-files and see were you have your appdata and also the episerver specific folder pointing to. 

EPiServer 7 need to have some files in the programfiles directory if I remember correctly. Try to install episerver 7 on the test server and also copy your module and modulerepository folder from appdata on your local machine to the test server.

If  your local machine is working you are most likely missing some files on the server. So reinstall episerver on that machine and copy folder could solve the problem.

Jul 14, 2014 8:40
Vote:

Eric is right, I forgot that. The simples way is to copy the EPiServer-folder from program files to the server and then to do a module-install to install the schedule service. You can find the installation file in the EPiServer folder I think.

Jul 14, 2014 8:59
Vote:

Ok, I will check it but tell me one thing which folder should be there which will contain modules,modulesbin folder etc.

VPP or AppData? 

Jul 14, 2014 9:34
Vote:

VPP and AppData are the samething in CMS 7 at least in the default installation. In that folder you have two folder that is not your old VPP for documents images..

- Modules (Contains files for ui and add on store...)

- ModulesRepository (Contains files for ui and add on store...)

In your website root you also have an ModulesBin katalog for some specific episerver binaries like, EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.dll, EPiServer.Packaging.UI.dll, EPiServer.Packaging.dll and EPiServer.Shell.UI.dll

You should be able to just copy paste these folders/files to your new website.

You also need to installe a proper episerver on that machine so that you have the files and folders specified in your episerverframework.config:

useRouting="true" name="App_Themes_Default" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider, EPiServer.Framework" />

name="UI" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider, EPiServer.Framework" />

name="UtilFiles" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider, EPiServer.Framework" />

name="WebServiceFiles" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider, EPiServer.Framework" />

name="EPiServerShell" type="EPiServer.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathNonUnifiedProvider, EPiServer.Framework" />

So my sugestion is as before:

1. Install episerver on the server.

2. Copy these folders from your dev machine to your test. (or install empty cms 7 site and copy folders on the test server)

Jul 14, 2014 10:29
Vote:

1. I took the Appdata folder out of the  RootSite folder and modified the path in EPiserverFramework.config accordingly and now admin and edit mode looks like a proper menu but still not perfect.when click on page type in admin mode nothing is happing as javascript error is coming.Edit mode is working fine.I wanted to send you the image but unable to paste the image in forum.

2.Two link mentioned below is still missing from right top corner of the site.

Edit View and My Dashboard

Now all the folders are at right place and episerver is already intalled correctly on the test machine.

Jul 14, 2014 14:28
Vote:

Can you write what the JavaScript errors say (press F12 and choose console)

Jul 14, 2014 14:50
Vote:

This is script error i am getting

HTML1202: http://172.22.12.16/TellerNo/UI/CMS/Admin/ is running in Compatibility View because 'Display intranet sites in Compatibility View' is checked.

Admin

SEC7115: :visited and :link styles can only differ by color. Some styles were not applied to :visited.

Admin

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'Control': object is null or undefined

Menu.aspx, line 108 character 1

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'Click': object is null or undefined

Menu.aspx, line 106 character 1

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'Click': object is null or undefined

Jul 14, 2014 15:52
Vote:

Can you see if there are any files missing (with network tab in F12 in chrome or with fiddler?)

And if you compare your site root directory and appdata directory with tools like winmerge, are there any differens?

The JavaScript errors did not say much, so need this info

Jul 14, 2014 18:55
Vote:

Can you verify that episerver is installed correctly? Since you are having trouble with standard episerver components my sugestions is to install a empty website with episerver deployment center and have a look at the configuration for that site and se if the path's differ from yours.

You could have trouble to access javascriptfiles cause of your IE settings as well. It looks like you do not get all scripts that you need and two things could be wrong. Either paths/installation is wrong or you block some script due to settings in your browser. 

Best of luck

Jul 14, 2014 20:20
Vote:

I have reinstalled the EPIserver 7 cms and copied all the folders created in install a emptysite with deployment server but getting the same error again.

I use the F12 and then press pagetype menu in admin mode and found it is pointing to following code. 

Why this href is void?

Am I installing the correct version of EPiserver?

Please help.

Jul 15, 2014 10:58
Vote:

Could you verify that you can access editmode/admimode for the empty website you installed? My guess is still that we are missing some components and or we do not have access to download all scripts that you need locally when browsing the website.

The void() is there cause they are using frames in adminmode when loading stuff but in the new editmode they have rewritten most of the gui. You should install this version if your are runing cms 7.0 http://world.episerver.com/Download/EPiServer-CMS/?Version=7

Could you check if you get any 404 messeage for js-files in the console of firebug?

Jul 15, 2014 11:14
Vote:

I could not verify editmode/admimode for the empty website as I am getting below mentioned error when running the empty website site from IIS7.5

CS0016: Could not write to output file 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\e42efbbb\90e3ce24\App_Code.dll' -- 'Access is denied. '

Give me some other work around.

There is no 404 message for JS-files.I have installed episerver from  http://world.episerver.com/Download/EPiServer-CMS/?Version=7

Jul 15, 2014 14:12
Vote:

Now I successfullly created empty site by using install site and sql server database in deployment center.

But when I am running this I am getting one page which shows that:-

Behind Every Great Web Site
EPiServer CMS
This installation contains only core files.
Jul 15, 2014 16:30
Vote:

This is a correct behavior from the empty site since it is empty, you can add Alloy template to it from deployment center.

You can access edit and admin even in the empty site, just go to /EPiServer 

Jul 15, 2014 23:36
Vote:

Thanks friends

Now I have created a demo site from visual studio 2012 and in which edit and admin menu is working fine.

when I mouseover on PageType in admin section it shows javascript:void(0) at left bottom of the page but when clicking on PageType it is working fine.

so we can say installation of EPiserver7 is correct.

Now please let me know how to proceed furhter as I am firefighting with this issue from last five days.

Jul 16, 2014 8:29
Vote:

As I have mentioned before it looks like you have errors in your specific installation/website. A sugestions would be to copy/paste the working solutions appdata folders(Modules, Modulesrepository etc) to your website. Also have a look at episerverframework.config how the configuration look like for the part that has paths set to the program files folders.

You could also try to just copy paste web.config to your website since it is working you would be able to access edit-mode but your specific settings would not work if you have any.

Jul 16, 2014 11:47
Vote:

I copy paste the web.config file of demo site but it is not working.

Could you please let me know which specific path or attributes I need to check in web.config file

Jul 16, 2014 13:49
Vote:

Earlier I was unable to run the same application on IIS express on develpment server but now i am to run the application on IIS Express.

I am also getting the same javascript error on development server which i am getting on test server.

This is the javascript where I am getting error.

Could you please let me know how to debug this issue.

Jul 17, 2014 9:47
Vote:

It is so hard to say from that error message.

I think you should open a support case for this.

/Henrik

Jul 17, 2014 14:09
Vote:

Thanks for the suggestion but could you please help me with one strange scenario mentioned below.

when i am running application in localhost(Asp.net development server) and click on admin everything is working fine and no javascript error is coming but when click on edit,it doesn't work.

And when I am running application in IIS Express and click on admin,javascript error is coming but edit mode is working fine here.

please help me with this kind of vice-versa scenario. 

I think now we are very close to resolve this error.

Jul 18, 2014 8:22
Vote:

I still thing you have an error in configs. Try to get new configs from a clean episerver installation from VS of Deployment Center.

You get these strange errors probably because asp.net development server and IIS Express are diffrent. IIS Express works exacty like ordinary IIS 7 or above and the dev.server is more like an old IIS 5 or 6. These servers have diffrent web.configs so you should use IIS express only or IIS 7.X for your solutions.

The script error is probably there because you do not get all the scripts you need from your installation downloaded to your browser. This is a typical error when something is wrong with your configs or Appdata folders.

Try to delete all episerver specific folders and copy the new from a empty epi installation website also try to copy configs but change settings to your appdata and catalogs.

Jul 18, 2014 11:36
Vote:

Thanks Eric,

Finally I have resolved this issue.

I have created a new episerver site in the same solution and copy files and folders from exisitng episerver site.

Jul 21, 2014 14:50
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.