Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Workflow and Email

Vote:

Hello,

I'm trying to set up sequential workflow with CMS 7.5 and according to th thread http://world.episerver.com/Modules/Forum/Pages/Thread.aspx?id=71488&epslanguage=en my workflow should send emails assuming I have the SMTP settings correct. I'm not seeing any evidence of the emails but the workflow seems to work as expected.

The SMTP settings I have are:

<system.net>
    <mailSettings>
      <smtp deliveryMethod="SpecifiedPickupDirectory" from="localhost@localdomain">
        <network host="localhost" port="25" userName="" password="" defaultCredentials="false" />
        <specifiedPickupDirectory pickupDirectoryLocation="C:\inetpub\mailroot\pickup" />
      </smtp>
    </mailSettings>
  </system.net>

And I have also tried using SMTP4Dev and I don't get any mails in the pickup folder or coming through SMTP4Dev. Does anyone know a way of testing the email settings I have in web.config or know why the emails are not getting generated?

Thanks,

Mark

May 13, 2014 10:47
Vote:

Hey, Mark,

I am also using SMTP4Dev and these are my settings:

<system.net>
    <mailSettings>
      <smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="info@mogul.com">
        <network host="localhost" port="25" />
      </smtp>
    </mailSettings>
  </system.net>

Hope this helps.

May 13, 2014 11:55
Vote:

Hi Marija,

I've tried your settings and there is still no email being sent by the workflow I have set up. Is there anything specifically with SMTP4Dev I need to set up? It's currently running in the the system tray and listening on port 25. At the moment I don't know if I have an issue with emails or the workflow not triggering the emails.

Thanks,

Mark

May 13, 2014 13:11
Vote:

Hey, Mark,

Perhaps the easiest thing is to nail down where the problem is.

Just send an email from HomeController, for example, to see if the emails are being sent at all and it's an issue with SMTP4Dev or if it's the workflows that are giving you a headache.

If it's the settings for SMTP, I can screenshot my settings and send you. I don't think there is anything I've changed after the default installation.

May 13, 2014 13:15
Vote:

Hi Marija,

Well I've been able to generate emails elsewhere in the site so it seems it's a problem with the workflow not generating the emails. I don't suppose you know why this might be? I'm led to believe that Sequential workflow should trigger emails by default based on the email addresses of the relevant users in the database.

Thanks,

Mark

May 13, 2014 13:48
Vote:

It should do. Are you sure that the workflows are running? Can you see instances of in-progress workflows in the workflow section of the Admin tab?

Setting up debugging through Visual studio is one way of having some visibility over the workflow process. See me post here http://www.markeverard.com/2010/06/01/debugging-workflows-and-httpcontext/

May 13, 2014 13:59
Vote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. yes I can see in progress workflows in Admin mode and they get added as soon as I send for approval.

I set up the debugging you mentioned and it returned some output but it's a little vague (see below) is there any way to drill down further to see the exact problem (the null reference exceptions look interesting).

For info I am using Relate and Windows authentication, however email addresses are present for the Community users added when the Windows authentication kicks in. Maybe this is the cause?

Mark

OUTPUT START

==========================================================================================

A first chance exception of type 'System.NotSupportedException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.Activation.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.Activation.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.dll
The thread 0x19f4 has exited with code 259 (0x103).
The thread 0x1aac has exited with code 259 (0x103).
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
'w3wp.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: /LM/W3SVC/3/ROOT-1-130444808074581704): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Design\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Design.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
'w3wp.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: /LM/W3SVC/3/ROOT-1-130444808074581704): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Messaging\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Messaging.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
A first chance exception of type 'EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.WorkflowInstanceException' occurred in EPiServer.WorkflowFoundation.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.ObjectDisposedException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
The thread 0x18fc has exited with code 259 (0x103).
A first chance exception of type 'System.NotSupportedException' occurred in System.ServiceModel.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.dll
The program '[5820] w3wp.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

==========================================================================================

OUTPUT END

May 14, 2014 10:28
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.