Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Can't set name on block when creating new block in a Content Area

Vote:

Is there som way to tweak episerver so I can set a displayname of my block when I create it from a content area?

Apr 29, 2014 8:25
Vote:

You can set a name of the block only after you create it from a content area.

1. Select the block you want to rename
2. Click edit
3. If you scroll up, you'll see the name property

Take a look at this image for more details: http://i.imgur.com/0sHkAtq.png

Edited, Apr 29, 2014 9:29
Vote:

No, I wan't to force the user to select a name for the block at the time of the creation of the block. (The same view you get when you create block from the + in the assets pane)

Apr 29, 2014 9:41
Vote:

Not possible when you create a block from content area, only from assets pane.

Edited, Apr 29, 2014 10:00
Vote:

You can make a property on the block named Name and make it mandatory, it will override the built-in one. Than you can hide a built-in one for better user experience. See this discussion:

http://world.episerver.com/Modules/Forum/Pages/Thread.aspx?id=83118&epslanguage=en

Apr 29, 2014 11:47
Vote:

Now I have added a required property namned "Name" to my block. I have also made the HideNameEditorDescription from the forum post you linked.

The built-in propterty "Name" is now hidden but it the overriding part does not seem to be working for me. What I write in my added property "Name" when I create a new block is not saved as the name of the block. What am I missing?

Apr 29, 2014 16:16
Vote:

Now that I read Thomas's description of the issue once more, it's not actually overriding the property. What you can do is the following:

1. Add a required property (now you have Name there, so that might be the one)
  2. Hook to SavingContent event and set the built-in Name (from IContent) to your Name
  3. You may still keep the editor descriptor that helps you hide the name in the header

Hope this helps.

Marija

Apr 29, 2014 16:25
Vote:

Might be that you will have to do it on publishing event instead, if it's different from the value of your custom Name.

Edited, Apr 29, 2014 16:28
Vote:

I hooked on the on publishing event and it works great when I create a block from the content area. When I create a block from the assets pane (+) There is 2 fields for Name. (I do have my HideNameEditorDescription still). If I write a name in the required Name field of the block and then click create I get a popup that says that I should give a more descriptive name to my block (showing the built-in property default name, New block).

Why isn't the on publishing event or the editor description working in this view? 

Apr 30, 2014 8:54
Vote:

The on creating event works here but I still see 2 fields for name, plus a popup when I click create and don't have filled in anything on the built-in property name.

http://imgur.com/kMskVmN
(sorry about the swedish)

Edited, Apr 30, 2014 9:51
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.