Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

TextArea editor that doesn't mess text with nbsp's?

Vote:

Hi

TextArea string editor has started converting whitespaces to nbsp's after some update. It happens if there are more than one whitespace in a row, the latter one's are replaced with nbsp's (charcode 160). Perhaps a nice feature if you'r using the strings only on your views, but not so nice when you'r using them for embedded html or system configuration.

I think it's a terrible change and should be reverted to save the text as it was written. But meanwhile I'd be happy to know if there are nice and clean workarounds.

Dec 16, 2014 18:29
Vote:

[UIHint(UIHint.LongString)] doesn't work either.

Dec 16, 2014 18:42
Vote:

So this happens when you use [UIHint(UIHint.Textarea)] ?

Dec 16, 2014 19:22
Vote:

Yes. And with [UIHint(UIHint.LongString)] too.

Dec 16, 2014 19:24
Vote:

Hi, any solution to this "error" yet? 

Mar 04, 2015 15:33
Vote:

I created a string extension method to workaround the issue. It's used on views like @Html.Raw(Model.Html.FixNbsp())

namespace Solita.Web.Utils.Common.Extensions
{
    public static class StringExtensions
    {
        public static string FixNbsp(this string str)
        {
            // http://world.episerver.com/Modules/Forum/Pages/Thread.aspx?id=114640
            // TextArea string editor converts whitespaces to nbsp's after some update. 
            // It happens if there are more than one whitespace in a row, the latter one's are replaced with nbsp's (charcode 160).

const char nbspChar = '\u00A0';
            return !string.IsNullOrEmpty(str) ? str.Replace(nbspChar, ' ') : string.Empty;
        }
    }
}

Not nice, but works for now.

Mar 04, 2015 16:09
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.