Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

IndexingService: The operation has timed out

Vote:

Hi

Occasionally I receive following errors to log:

ERROR SearchSettings: Update batch could not be sent to service uri 'http://www.mysite.com/IndexingService/IndexingService.svc/update/?accesskey=mysite'. Message: 'The operation has timed out   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at EPiServer.Search.RequestHandler.MakeHttpRequest(String url, NamedIndexingServiceElement namedIndexingServiceElement, String method, Stream postData, Action`1 responseHandler)
   at EPiServer.Search.RequestHandler.SendRequest(SyndicationFeed feed, String namedIndexingService, Collection`1 ids)'
ERROR SearchSettings: Send batch for named index 'serviceName' failed. Items are left in queue.

The search works, at least partially, so I'm guessing that the error is due to a big file getting indexed which causes the timeout. Has anyone else experienced the same problem, and is increasing the timeout only solution to fix it?

Nov 19, 2014 13:54
Vote:

Well, increasing the timeout didn't fix the errors. 

<location path="IndexingService/IndexingService.svc">
    <system.web>
      <httpRuntime executionTimeout="900" maxQueryStringLength="65536" />
    </system.web>
    <system.webServer>
      <security>
        <requestFiltering>
          <requestLimits maxQueryString="65536" />
        </requestFiltering>
      </security>
    </system.webServer>
  </location>

I think the issues is with our json-files that are used for integration. Is there any way to limit which files (by size or extension) should be indexed?

Nov 20, 2014 3:16
Vote:

Decreasing dequeuePageSize seemst to work. The default value is 50, setting it to 5 fixed the issue.

In web.config change

<episerver.search active="true"> 

to

<episerver.search active="true" dequeuePageSize="5"> 

Dec 17, 2014 17:32
Vote:

Thank you Jouni for your monologue. dequeuePageSize tweaking helped me too!

Merry Christmas!

Dec 23, 2014 13:09
Vote:

Dec 24, 2014 12:39
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.