Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Numerical order in search results

Vote:

Wondering if anyone has figured out how to get numbers to sort in numerical value within search and list pages. We have so many customers searching for fitting which as I'm sure you all know well is painful to figure out in the back end. Right now when sorting results from A-Z, either on search results or list pages, it is ranking numbers alphabetically instead of numerically. For instance, 1”, ½”, ¼”, 2”… down the line.

Has anyone figured out how to get these to sort in numerical order instead?

Thank you,

Natalie

May 10, 2019 12:41
Vote:

Hi Natalie,

I completely understand the problem you are exposed to. Unfortunately, as you mentioned Insite out of the box sorting results from A-Z is a simple alphabetical sorting. Maybe this would be a potential enhancement that you could submit to Insite.

If you are looking for a more immediate solution, we have never done this for a client in the past but I am pretty sure this could be achieve with some custom code above Elasticsearch.

One other suggestion for you, as you probably know you can use the category product sorting to determine the order in which products are presented in list pages on the default Best Match sorting. You might think of using this particular functionality to sort your products numerically. I understand this might require some manual work depending on the number of product in your catalog. You might want to consider doing this only for the sub categories where it would be the most relevant such as fitting or others where the product name begins by a number.

Hopefully these ideas will help you provide a better user experience to your customers. Don't hesitate if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Patrick Ouellette
eCommerce Product Owner at Absolunet

May 17, 2019 4:49
Vote:

@Patrick Ouellette - does the Category Product Sort effect SEARCH results?  I was under the impression it didn't.  We have the same issue around numerical sizing - and the repeated request from our customers to have SEARCH return products like fittings or conduit by SIZE

Aug 12, 2019 8:08
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.