Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Is it possible to get statistics from the search function?

Vote:

I´m a complete beginner in EPIserver, and I got a question to witch I can´t seem to find an answer. I would like to see the most commonly searched words on our website (words that visitors type in the local search-field). If I know what visitors are looking for but can´t find I can imporve the structure of the site.

So, is there any way of collecting the search data? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks

/Gustav 

Jan 03, 2011 16:34
Vote:

As far as I know the built in search and statistics function in EPiServer CMS does not provide any assistance in this area. To extract this information you will have to rely on external statistics tools such as Google Analytics or similar.

Jan 10, 2011 14:24
Vote:

If you use Google Analytics you should make sure your search form is a real HTML form with method="get" so that the search phrase ends up in the querystring. Then you can use GA's built-in "search page" setting and just input the name of your search phrase parameter.

Jan 22, 2011 22:55
Vote:

You could easily create a simple statisticslogger by using log4net.
Create a loggappender (you can find an example in EPiServerLog.config)
Create a class utilizing the apender with one log method.

Log the search strings when processing the search.

Apr 19, 2011 22:19
Vote:

Google Webmaster tools including Analytics are terrific, but you could also integrate EPiServer CMS with EPiServer SEO.

Working with Search Engine Optimization

The Editor Advice tab in EPiServer SEO shows the quality of the content on a specific web page, and give you non-technical, easy to understand feedback on the areas you have done well and specific recommendations on how to improve. For example, "Title tag is too long".

By using key phrases instead of single keywords on your website, you can work with the title tag, meta description, headings, such as <H1> and <H2> tags, lead text, image Alt-tag, URLs and hyperlinks, that are all together key areas in establishing high search engine visibility. 

Generating Statistics

The administrator of EPiServer SEO can make settings for prioritized keywords/key phrases for the entire website and provides an automated, updated rankings report for those keywords on major search engines. It is also possible to see which search phrases that have generated visits from search engines to this website during the last 30 days.

Apr 28, 2011 9:48
Vote:

As said in the previous comments, there are no support for this. However, even though you are an EPiServer-rookie I can have a solution for you if you want to use search query information on your site and not only for editor statistics. Going through logs is not an option for me, I rather implement functionality that handles this for me.

When the search is triggered, save the query into the DDS (Dynamic Data Store), for example as a search object. Create a method that fetches the most queried words and display them on your page. Pretty easy to implement and can be extended with a lot of interesting features. 

Good luck. :)

/Andreas

May 06, 2011 10:15
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.