Last updated: Feb 06 2019
Episerver Tracking Developer Guide
Tracking in Episerver is used to personalize content and product recommendations, and for segmented marketing actions. You can track data in Episerver to any source. This section describes the core tracking functionality and APIs.
Tracking consists of a service and a set of NuGet packages for the client-side tracking. As part of the onboarding, Episerver sends the required configuration keys and credentials to the technical contact for your project.
How it works
To collect data about visitor interaction, tracking must be added to every content type of the website, such as pages, blocks, media, product category, products, variants. You can also add tracking to emails used in campaign mailings.
Adding tracking can simply be done through decorating a content controller action method with an attribute. However, in most cases, more site-specific custom code is required to ensure that data for tracked events is collected correctly.
The collected data can be used for:
- Content recommendations for Episerver CMS, as part of Episerver Advance.
- Product recommendations for Episerver Commerce, as part of Episerver Perform.
- Build profile information including conversions like clicks, purchases, or opened emails.
- Data visualization in Episerver Insight and the Episerver Personalization Portal.
The tracking also supports tracking of data to any source outside the Episerver platform.
The tracking service includes product-specific tracking for Episerver CMS and Commerce, to support data visualization with different output platforms. To get tracking running for a site, you need to configure access to the tracking API. There are separate integration methods to connect with the tracking service, and separate native integrations depending on the product for which you are configuring tracking. See Install and configure personalization.
Installation and configuration
See Install and configure tracking about adding tracking to CMS and Commerce sites.
See Tracking API about working with the generic tracking API.
Product-specific tracking types
The following tracking types are available:
- CMS: Page views. See Page view tracking about setting up tracking for Episerver CMS.
- Commerce: Home, Product, Category, Search, Wishlist, Basket, Checkout, and Order.
See Product tracking about setting up product tracking for Episerver Commerce
- Campaign: Mailing Sent, Opens, and Clicks, for integrating with Episerver Insight.
You can also develop custom tracking types.