Last updated: Dec 27 2017
Install and configure tracking for Profile Store
This topic describes how to install and configure tracking to Episerver Profile Store, the Episerver Customer Data Platform. You can install tracking to any source, see Install and configure tracking.
In this topic
As part of the onboarding for the tracking service, Episerver sends the required subscription keys and tracking URLs to the technical contact for your project. Use the keys to configure the tracking for your websites. Contact Episerver for questions regarding the onboarding process.
This example creates an Episerver CMS sample site (Alloy), and adds tracking components using Visual Studio.
- Create a new project in Visual Studio, based on the Episerver template.
- Select the Alloy (MVC) sample site.
- Use the Package Manager Console in Visual Studio to install Profile Store tracking.
- To install the main tracking package, enter install-package EPiServer.Profiles.Client at the Package Manager Console prompt (PM>), with package source set to Episerver NuGet feed.
- To configure the site tracking account, open web.config, and add or modify the following in the <appSettings> section:
<add key="episerver:profiles.TrackingApiBaseUrl" value="" /> <add key="episerver:tracking.Enabled" value="true" /> <add key="episerver:profiles.ProfileStoreTrackingEnabled" value="true" /> <add key="episerver:profiles.TrackingApiSubscriptionKey" value="tracking subscription key for your profile store account" /
- episerver:tracking.Enabled. Enables tracking for the base package EPiServer.Tracking.Core; any form of tracking on the site. This is a global Episerver setting. Setting this to false, or removing it, stops Episerver from tracking data to Profile Store, and other systems.
- episerver:profiles.ProfileStoreTrackingEnabled. Enabled tracking for EPiServer.Profiles.Client; from the site to Profile Store. Setting this to false, or removing it, stops Episerver from tracking data to Profile Store.
Note: Both episerver:tracking.Enabled and episerver:profiles.ProfileStoreTrackingEnabled values must be set to true to track data to Profile Store.
- episerver:profiles.TrackingApiBaseUrl. URL to the tracking endpoint for Profile Store. The URL is sent together with the subscription key, when an account is created.
- episerver:profiles.TrackingApiSubscriptionKey. Subscription key for the tracking account. The subscription key URL is sent together with the URL, when an account is created.
- episerver:tracking.IgnoreDNT. Causes the tracking system to ignore the DNT (DoNotTrack) header when set to true. Use this with caution to not make visitors upset.
<add key="episerver:tracking.IgnoreDNT" value="true" />
The CMS integration package for Profile Store tracking contains some additions to tracking, for example scope handling. You should install this package on an Episerver CMS site.
Enter install-package EPiServer.Tracking.Cms at the Package Manager console prompt (PM>).
You can isolate tracking events and profiles using scopes.
A scope separates tracking requests to the site ID of the site where data was tracked. The default implementation for a scope when installing EPiServer.Tracking.Cms is the SiteId for the site from which the tracking event was sent. Tracking events sent from a multi-site therefore are isolated in its different sites.
You can modify this behavior setting scope in one of the following ways:
In web.config, go to the <appSettings> section, and change value of ProfileStoreTrackingEnable to true. Also add a new key episerver:profiles.Scope.
Note: Keep the scope values lowercased.
<add key="episerver:profiles.ProfileStoreTrackingEnabled" value="true" /> <add key="episerver:profiles.Scope" value="defaultscope" />
- Implement an EPiServer.Tracking.Cms.ITrackingDataInterceptor. Implementing a custom tracking data interceptor is handled in a separate article.
Note: You can override the implementation for Scope in configuration file by setting episerver:profiles.Scope to the value you choose.