Install and configure personalization
This topic describes the NuGet packages and initial configuration for the setup of Episerver personalization. To get personalization running for a site, you need to configure access to the tracking API, so that you can post usage data and get recommendations back.
In this topic
To install and configure, you need the configuration keys and credentials provided by Episerver during onboarding of the service. Contact Episerver for questions regarding the onboarding process.
See Installing Episerver to set up Visual studio with Episerver extensions and the NuGet feed source.
In addition to onboarding the service, you need to install a set of NuGet packages for the tracking and personalization features. Available packages are listed below.
- EPiServer.Find.Personalization. Native integration for search recommendations (Personalized Search & Navigation).
- EPiServer.Personalization. Integrates Personalization Portal UI (Perform, Reach) with the Episerver top menu.
- EPiServer.Personalization.Cms. Native integration for content recommendations (Advance).
- EPiServer.Personalization.Commerce. Native integration for product recommendations (Perform, Reach).
- EPiServer.Personalization.Common. Common base API classes.
- EPiServer.Profiles.Client. Main package for tracking of an Episerver site to Profile Store.
- EPiServer.Profiles.Client.Common. Contains common classes used by other packages.
- EPiServer.Tracking.Cms. CMS integration for tracking of data.
- EPiServer.Tracking.Commerce. Commerce integration for tracking (Perform, Reach, Profile Store, Personalized Search & Navigation).
- EPiServer.Tracking.Core. Generic package for tracking.
- EPiServer.Tracking.PageView. Native integration for tracking of CMS/content data to Profile Store (Advance).
Installing a main native integration package also installs other packages based on dependencies. The package sets provide product-specific access to the tracking APIs, the required set depending on products:
- Content recommendations for Episerver CMS
- Episerver Profile Store Tracking API: EPiServer.Profiles.Client.
- Episerver Advance: EPiServer.Tracking.PageView, EPiServer.Personalization.CMS.
- See Advance API to learn how to install and configure the CMS native integration.
- Product recommendations for Episerver Commerce
- Personalized search results for Episerver Search & Navigation (formerly Find)
- Episerver Personalized Search & Navigation: EPiServer.Find.Personalization.
- See Personalized Search & Navigation to learn how to install and configure this native integration.
General integration APIs
These are general personalization system integration methods that you can use to connect with the tracking service. Instead of using the native integrations, you call the HTTP endpoints directly to integrate with the core personalization tracking API, and send and receive tracking data and recommendations in JSON format.
For Episerver Commerce sites, the core part of the personalization functionality consists of a catalog product feed providing the input data, combined with a tracking script that enables Episerver to track behavior and serve suitable recommendations. When you set up the personalization, you configure the feed and import the source data.
See Data import guides.
The Personalization API is used for personalization customization. This API contains header information, endpoints, and response messages for tracking and recommendations. The client calls the Personalization API that (primarily) returns product or content recommendations, to be used in various output channels.
See Personalization API.
Profile Store and Insight
Depending on how personalization is set up for your solution, you may use Episerver Profile Store and Insight.
- Episerver Profile Store, also known as the Episerver Customer Data Management Platform, stores tracking data, which can then be processed and used for data visualization, and visitor profile segmentation.
- Episerver Insight is the user interface for data visualization and profile segmentation.
See Insight and personalization to learn how to set up tracking clients and the profile management user interface.
Below are instructions for some product/feature-specific configurations.
Enabling use of hashed IDs when using Episerver Campaign. Contact Episerver to provide the mapping of email addresses to pseudonymized IDs, and Episerver will configure this in the Personalization Portal.
Contact Episerver to configure these features:
- Allow updated orders to affect personalization.
- Multi-site support for recommendations.
Contact Episerver to configure availability in Episerver DXC Service regions - East/West US, EMEA, APAC.
Do you find this information helpful? Please log in to provide feedback.
Last updated: Jan 31, 2019