This topic describes globalization in Episerver Commerce, by which you can
- create and display website content in different languages
- display the user interface in different languages through the localization of user-facing texts
Globalization in Commerce
When describing the language concept in Episerver, the following language setting types are mentioned:
- System language. Controls date/time formatting, sort order, and so on.
- User interface language. Controls the localized (translated) resources to display; determines the user interface language.
- Content language. The preferred language when displaying content. Content can be a page, a block, or a product catalog item.
Conceptually, globalization in Commerce works the same way as in CMS. To learn about language management in Episerver, see Globalization.
Note: Not all globalization features described for the Episerver platform and CMS apply to Commerce. Some features work differently, such as in the legacy parts of Commerce Manager. (Legacy refers to before Commerce 8.6.0.)
By default, the Episerver Commerce user interface is available in a number of languages. You can localize it further with additional languages. The localization procedure differs somewhat between the Commerce user interface and the legacy Commerce Manager back-end system.
Commerce user interface
You localize the Commerce pluggable add-on user interface using the Episerver localization services in the same way that the CMS does. See also Localization service.
Commerce Manager user interface
To add languages for localization of the user interface in the Commerce Manager back-end system:
- Change the associated key values of your resx files under App_GlobalResources. Each key/value pair corresponds to a particular function in the Episerver Commerce administration interface.
- To keep existing resx files while supporting additional languages, copy and rename the existing resx files. Open each resx file using Visual Studio, and edit each key/value pair to match your language.
Note: This feature applies to Commerce version 13.21 and higher.
By default, the localization of order data is enabled. If you do not use order data localization, you can disable it. Disabled order data localization saves storage and improves performance by reducing read/write operations.
To disable order data localization, go to appSettings in the web.config file and set episerver:setoption:Mediachase.Commerce.Orders.OrderOptions.DisableOrderDataLocalization, Mediachase.Commerce to true.
Last updated: Jul 14, 2020