This topic describes the architecture of the Episerver platform, with an introduction to the system foundation and related components and products.
Episerver consists of the Episerver framework with a core user interface, CMS and Commerce for content management and e-commerce, and other modules supporting marketing automation and social interaction features. The Episerver Add-on Store contains a broad selection of ready-to-use add-ons to extend the functionality of a solution, and you also can build your own custom add-ons.
Episerver has an open and layered architecture, allowing for almost any type of integration using standard technology.
- Optimization layer measures, analyzes and optimizes the performance of website content, such as conversion rates for a campaign landing page.
- Delivery layer includes support for responsive design and templates based on Web Forms and MVC, and also support for building advanced search and filtering features.
- Creation layer manages content such as pages and blocks, or e-commerce content such as products and orders. Content can be personalized, and can also be part of an approval workflow with authorization applied.
- Data layer provides the information from one or more content providers (which can originate from the database) and external data sources that are integrated with Episerver.
Episerver CMS provides core features for content and presentation management:
- Typed model for content types
- Built-in components supporting both MVC and Web Forms
- Administration and edit views
- Projects and multi-publishing
- Publishing workflow
- Globalization support
- Friendly URL management
- Version management
- Microsoft .NET Framework and ASP.NET
Episerver has a web solution toolkit, with sample templates and a plug-in for Visual Studio to get your website development project quickly up and running.