This document describes the architecture of the EPiServer platform, with an introduction to the system foundation and related components and products.
The EPiServer platform
The EPiServer platform consists of the EPiServer framework with a core user interface, CMS and Commerce for content management and e-commerce, and other modules supporting marketing automation and social interaction features. A broad selection of ready-to-use add-ons is available from the EPiServer Add-on Store to extend the functionality of a solution.
- The data layer provides the information, which can originate from the database, from one or more content providers as well external data sources integrated with EPiServer.
- The creation layer is where content, for instance pages and blocks or e-commerce content such as products and orders, is managed. Content can be personalized, and can also be part of an approval workflow with authorization applied.
- The delivery layer holds the presentation parts including support for responsive design and templates based on both WebForms and MVC, as well as support for building advanced search and filtering features.
- The optimization layer provides various options for measuring, analyzing and optimizing the performance of website content, for instance conversion rates for a campaign landing page.
The platform offers shared features such as global system access and search through the OnlineCenter, the Add-on Store for easy-access to modules and upgrades, and the EPiServer Find search module for the creation of advanced search based site navigations.
The foundation of EPiServer CMS is an open and layered architecture, allowing for almost any type of integration using standard technology. The base is made up of layers for presentation, business and data services, and providers for managing security and authentication, as well as content providers for integration purposes.
EPiServer CMS provides core features for content and presentation management:
- Typed model for content types
- Property controls
- User controls
- .NET and EPiServer controls
- Administration and Edit view
- Publishing workflow
- Globalization support
- Friendly URL management
- Version management
- Microsoft .NET Framework and ASP.NET