Table of Contents
- Updating the Geographic Location Database
- Providing Access for Editors to Visitor Groups
This document describes how to make different configuration settings for the personalization feature.
Updating the Geographic Location Database
The geographic location database included in EPiServer CMS contains geographic information created by MaxMind. New versions of this database are released every month as the information is continuously updated.
To get the latest geographic information on your website, you can update the database in the following ways:
- Updating the database manually.
- Install source code to run the database update as a scheduled job.
Updating the Database Manually
- Go to MaxMind’s website at http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoLiteCity.dat.gz. Here you will always find the latest database version for free.
- Extract the file and replace your current database version at \EPiServer\Framework\[Assembly Version Number]\Geolocation.
If you want a more accurate version, a required license database version is available at Maxmind.com.
Running the Database Update as a Scheduled Job
To update the Maxmind GeoIP database as a scheduled job in EPiServer CMS Admin mode, go to EPiServer World and download the source code EPiServer.Extensions.GeoIPUpdate.
Providing Access for Editors to Visitor Groups
To access Visitor Groups in the global menu you must be a member of the access groups CmsAdmins or VisitorGroupAdmins, otherwise you will be prompted to a login page. If you want editors to be able to add, edit and delete visitor groups, you can provide access by adding them to VisitorGroupAdmins (CmsAdmins and CmsEditors are already defined in the configuration). The following example shows how you can provide access for editors in the EPiServerFramework.config file under virtualRoles:
<virtualRoles replacePrincipal="true"> <providers> ... <add name="VisitorGroupAdmins" type="EPiServer.Security.MappedRole, EPiServer" roles="WebEditors" mode="Any" /> </providers>