Views: 3614
Number of votes: 2
Average rating:

LinkItemCollection and the danger with StringDelayedLoadThreshold

I have done a company-office-contactperson solution on our website. On a company page you specify in what cities that company reside in the form of a LinkItemCollection. The problem started today after I made a small update to the website (= recycling of the application pool), all the contact options just disappeared. After republish of each of the company pages they reappeared and went away after the next application pool recycle.

Back to the development environment for debugging. Checked everything, the value in the database etc. Nothing was wrong. After more head scratching I remembered reading the deployment checklist by Alexander Haneng (great read btw). I had changed the stringDelayedLoadThreshold from 0 to 50. When I changed this value back all worked like a charm again.

It all works fine with 50 as value on the actual page itself but when getting children with either FindPagesWithCriteria or GetChildren extension method I get null returned from the LinkItemCollection property. If anyone can shed some light on the differences I would appreciate it.

So be careful setting the stringDelayedThreshold if you are working with LinkItemCollections.

Sep 26, 2011

alexander
(By alexander, 9/28/2011 2:17:08 PM)

Is this a registered bug?

Will update the checklists with a reference to this blog post.

Oskar Zetterberg
(By Oskar Zetterberg, 9/28/2011 4:07:39 PM)

I have registered this to EPiServer. LinkItemCollection strings should be excluded from delayed loading imho.

Yagnik Jadav
(By Yagnik Jadav, 12/28/2015 4:52:04 PM)

Hi

Thanks for this article. I spent couple of weeks with EPiServer Hosting Team, ImageVault Team and with EPiServer Developer support.

I was facing same issue in different way. I am using ImageVault and using MediaReferenceList Cusotm property of ImageVault (DAM) to capture list of images for sliders on home page.

Slider was working fine but just disappear after each build and I did debug with staging database and found that data was in episerver property in json format but property return null.

I had lot of discussion with ImageVault support, EPiServer Hosting Team, Azure Web App CDN etc. but was nothing worked out. I was using multisite setup with EPiServer 8 Azure Web App and ImageVault hosted in VM. Client has around 30+ websites and most of websites home page and inner page slider disappear and need to republish page the which was very difficult to do after each build and very serious issue can happen with production sites.

Finally, EPiServer Developer support (Josef) has suggest to set value 0 to disabled StringDelayedLoadThreshold and all working fine.

Small configuration did the trick.

Regards Yagnik

Please login to comment.