NullReferenceException on SubMenu.PageLink = Menulist.OpenTopPage

NullReferenceException on SubMenu.PageLink = Menulist.OpenTopPage

Hi,

I recieve a NullreferenceException on the following line of code:

SubMenu.PageLink = MenuList.OpenTopPage;

when trying to create an EPiServer:PageTree menu control.

My complete code for the SubMenu.ascx:

public partial class LeftMenu : EPiServer.UserControlBase { //Variable private MenuList _menulist; //Property public MenuList Menulist { get { return _menulist; } set { _menulist = value; } } protected override void OnLoad(System.EventArgs e) { base.OnLoad(e); SubMenu.PageLink = Menulist.OpenTopPage; SubMenu.DataBind(); } }

Any ideas why? I'm new to EPi so pelase bear with me ;-)

Thanks for your answers!

#29855 May 19, 2009 12:00
  •  

Hi,

I think it might be because you are setting the PageLink property too late on the Page_Load event, it should be on the Page_Init event.

Take a look at the example and associated paragraphs about this issue on the following page:

http://sdk.episerver.com/library/cms5/html/P_EPiServer_Web_WebControls_PageControlBase_PageLink.htm

All the best...

#29864 May 19, 2009 14:29
  •  

Hi,

Strange?

I see what you mean. But according to the "Getting Started" demo from EPi World ("Developing a submenu EPiServer:PageTree") it's said to pu the PageLink property in the OnLoad event?

Thanks!

#29865 May 19, 2009 14:59
  •  
    public partial class LeftMenu : EPiServer.UserControlBase { //Variable private MenuList _menulist; //Property public MenuList Menulist { get { return _menulist; } set { _menulist = value; } } private void Page_Init(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { SubMenu.PageLink = EPiServer.Core.PageReference.StartPage; } private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { base.OnLoad(e); SubMenu.DataBind(); } private void InitializeComponent(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { this.Load += new System.EventHandler(this.Page_Load); this.Init += new System.EventHandler(this.Page_Init); } }
    Still not working :-)
    #29866 May 19, 2009 15:00
  •  

Hi,

I have coded the following example and it seems to work - you should be able to extend it / shorten it in a way which will work for your solution.  Noting that I have worked with the PageTree in the .ascx file, due to the ease with which the underlying templates can be coded.  I have then attached the PageLink value in the code behind .ascx.cs file. (It seemed to work with both the Page_Load event and Page_Init event).

Hope it helps...

-- To be copied into the .ascx file (inherits value at the top needs changing to match what's in your solution) --

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="LeftMenu.ascx.cs" Inherits="Templates.Units.LeftMenu" %>

<EPiServer:PageTree EvaluateHasChildren="true" ID="SubMenu" runat="server">

<HeaderTemplate>
            <div id="SubMenuHeader">
                <p>Left Menu</p>
                <EPiServer:Property PropertyName="PageLink" ID="SubMenuPropPageLink1" runat="server" />
            </div>
            <div id="SubMenu">
        </HeaderTemplate>

<IndentTemplate>
            <ul>
        </IndentTemplate>

<ItemHeaderTemplate>
            <li>
        </ItemHeaderTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>
            <EPiServer:Property PropertyName="PageLink" ID="SubMenuPropPageLink2" runat="server" />
            <asp:PlaceHolder ID="SubMenuPlaceHolderCtrl1" runat="server" Visible="<%# Container.HasChildren %>">[+]</asp:PlaceHolder>
        </ItemTemplate>

<ExpandedItemTemplate>
            <EPiServer:Property PropertyName="PageLink" ID="SubMenuPropPageLink3" runat="server" /> [-]
        </ExpandedItemTemplate>

<SelectedItemTemplate>
            <EPiServer:Property PropertyName="PageLink" ID="SubMenuPropPageLink4" runat="server" />
            <asp:PlaceHolder ID="SubMenuPlaceHolderCtrl2" runat="server" Visible="<%# Container.HasChildren %>">[-]</asp:PlaceHolder>
        </SelectedItemTemplate>

<TopTemplate>
            <EPiServer:Property PropertyName="PageLink" ID="SubMenuPropPageLink4" runat="server" />
            <asp:PlaceHolder ID="SubMenuPlaceHolderCtrl1" runat="server" Visible="<%# Container.HasChildren %>">[+]</asp:PlaceHolder>
        </TopTemplate>

<SelectedTopTemplate>
            <EPiServer:Property PropertyName="PageLink" ID="SubMenuPropPageLink5" runat="server" />
            <asp:PlaceHolder ID="SubMenuPlaceHolderCtrl1" runat="server" Visible="<%# Container.HasChildren %>">[-]</asp:PlaceHolder>
        </SelectedTopTemplate>

<ExpandedTopTemplate>
            <EPiServer:Property PropertyName="PageLink" ID="SubMenuPropPageLink6" runat="server" />
        </ExpandedTopTemplate>

<ItemFooterTemplate>
            </li>
        </ItemFooterTemplate>

<UnindentTemplate>
            </ul>
        </UnindentTemplate>

<FooterTemplate>
            </div>
        </FooterTemplate>
    </EPiServer:PageTree>

-- To be copied into the .ascx.cs file (noting that the events are attached automatically through AutoEventWireup being set to true at the top of the .ascx code) --

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
    using EPiServer;
    using EPiServer.Core;
    using EPiServer.DataAbstraction;
    using EPiServer.Web.WebControls;

namespace KnowlegdeWebNew.Templates.Units
    {
        public partial class LeftMenu : EPiServer.UserControlBase
        {
            private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
            {
                SubMenu.PageLink = EPiServer.Core.PageReference.StartPage;
            }
        }
    }

#29870 May 19, 2009 16:51