Newbie Question.

Hello Everyone!

Right now I am mostly platying around with EpiServer 4.62 in VS 2005 and trying to learn how it works. However my goal is to add a "Weekly Poll" like function to the example website I am currently "working" on.

What I am considering is how to save the results. Do I make a new table in the EpiServer database and use that or is thier any built in funcionality suited for this in EpiServer?

Kind Regards
Pontus

#28715 Mar 19, 2009 15:02
  •  
    You can use EPiServer XForms for this functionality. Take a look at Xforms.aspx/ascx in the sample installation.
    #28717 Mar 19, 2009 15:15

Hi,

Yes Xform would do it. Our hard to find code sample section has some xform samples which can help you get started.

http://world.episerver.com/en/Download/Categories/Download-Type/Code-Samples1/

And yes, we are planning on improving this section with more examples and better layout, community funcs etc.

#28725 Mar 19, 2009 21:45
  •  

I am trying to use page propertys to store the results, however episerver wont commit the data to the database.

This is how I try to save the result.

CurrentPage.Property["res3"].Value = x;

It dosent give me any errors and it sets the value to x, it just wont commit to the database. Any suggestions?

#28749 Mar 20, 2009 11:39

You need to call DataFactory.Instance.SavePage(CurrentPage, ...) to commit the changes to database.

/johan

#28750 Mar 20, 2009 11:48
  •  

Thank you for the answer Johan.

I am using episerver 4.62 so I dont have that exact structure but I found.

Global.EPDataFactory.Save

I can use that method to save then publish it and it works, however I get a new version of the page for every vote, in the "Version List" of editmode.

This is perectly logical but is thier any way I can prevent this?

#28754 Mar 20, 2009 12:59

I think you can use a saveaction argument other than Publish, namely a bitmasked option:

SaveAction action = SaveAction.Publish | SaveAction.ForceCurrentVersion;Global.EPDataFactory.Save(page, action);

#28755 Mar 20, 2009 13:11
  •  

Hi Magnus!

Thanks for the tip, however not sure how you mean. First save then "instead" of publish I use the combo?
    If thats what u mean it dont work, it creates a new version then it stays unpublished.

I tryed doing just the publish combo with no save and that gives me a server error at runtime. "The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY contraint "FK_tblWorkProperty_tblWorkPage ..."

I also tryed combining "ForceCurrentVersion" with save, since to me that seems the most logical thing to do. However that also gives an error like the one above.

Anyhow I think ur onto something with "Forcecurrentversion", it seems like the solution just not sure how to use it.

#28756 Edited, Mar 20, 2009 13:39

Yes, you should only save once, using a combined saveaction of either publish + forcecurrent or save + forcecurrent, don't remember which. I thought I had used it successfully once, but perhaps I ran into some trouble myself and skipped it.

A workaround is to limit the number of page versions (will affect all pages) and use a scheduled task to remove old page versions. I think a scheduled task like that is more or less standard in 4.62?

#28757 Mar 20, 2009 14:04

Hm, I should've read a little more carefully what you're trying to do: 

Its probably not a good idea to store votes in a property. Think about what happens if the editor decides to republish a previous version of the page, then you'd loose a bunch of votes...

I'd also suggest you go the XForm route, that way votes are stored outside page versioning.

/johan

#28758 Mar 20, 2009 14:56

ForceCurrentVersion has been "defect" since the second world war, atleast on the most installation I've made.

Either you delete the previous version, or you can set a limit for page versions to be saved in web.config or in the admin-area.

#28759 Mar 20, 2009 14:59
First   1 2   Last