EPiServer 5R2 network traffic?

 

We're having a problem with our CMS5 R2-installations on our developer machines(these are all installations that have been migrated or are in the process of being migrated from 4.62).

After a requesting a page in the web browser, there is often a delay of 1-2 minutes before the page is loaded. After the page is loaded, EPiServer seems to generate excessive amounts of data traffic between IIS and the SQL-server.
This traffic will persist until we perform an iisreset (the traffic is in the order of 1GB data received pr hour on the web server).

We've done a trace on the SQLserver to see what queries are being run, and it seems like it's a variety of stored procedures triggered by EPiServer that is causing the excessive data traffic.

We're kinda blank on what's causing this problem or how to solve it.
Could this be related to:

  1. that the sites are migratede sites or,
  2. that the developer machines are connecting to the SQL-server through a VPN-connection with a microsoft client or,
  3. the developer machines are running iis5.1 on XP SP3?

 We are runnning the same sites on w23k-server in the same domain and physical net as the database server(the same SQL-server that the developer machines are connecting against over VPN) and we experience none of these problems on these servers.

Hope someone have a clue on this one.. We're getting frustrated Yell 

#27402 Jan 28, 2009 15:52
  • Member since: 1999
     
    This does not help you but I have never heard of this problem before, sounds like there some function that goes crazy. Have you tried enabling logging and try to figure out what is happening?
    #27412 Jan 29, 2009 12:11
  • Member since: 2008
     

    I work with Fredrik on these sites that we're having problems with.
    I did a log on one of them now and though I can't make too much of it- EPiServer seems to be doing some extensive caching operations for a good 2 minutes before the start page is finally loaded.

    There are several hundred lines like this:

    2009-01-29 13:41:37,262 INFO [1] EPiServer.Core.OptimisticCache`1.Read - cacheKey=EP:LanguageBranch, returning an object of type TObject
    2009-01-29 13:41:37,272 INFO [1] EPiServer.Core.OptimisticCache`1.Read - cacheKey=EPPageData:3
    2009-01-29 13:41:37,272 INFO [1] EPiServer.Core.OptimisticCache`1.TryRead - cacheKey=EPPageData:3
    2009-01-29 13:41:37,272 INFO [1] EPiServer.Core.OptimisticCache`1.TryRead - cacheKey=EPPageData:3, retry 1, calling CacheManager.RuntimeCacheGet for key
    2009-01-29 13:41:37,272 INFO [1] EPiServer.Core.OptimisticCache`1.TryRead - cacheKey=EPPageData:3, retry 1, CacheManager.RuntimeCacheGet returned null for key
    2009-01-29 13:41:37,272 INFO [1] EPiServer.Core.OptimisticCache`1.TryRead - cacheKey=EPPageData:3, retry 1, returning null
    2009-01-29 13:41:37,272 INFO [1] EPiServer.Core.OptimisticCache`1.Read - cacheKey=EPPageData:3, inserting a RefCountedEvent object in cache

    After two minutes, the front page is loaded in the browser- and these next log items starts filling up the log until I did an IISreset.

    2009-01-29 13:45:33,563 INFO [PipeServerChannel.ServerMain] Microsoft.Samples.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Pipe.DBG.Info - 18.3.1 Scheduler info:  2000> Reading ushort...

    I've made the log in it's full glory available at http://www.iqas.no/upload/dokumenter/EPiServerErrorLog.txt (5.7mb) 

    It's worth noting that the initial caching is not just a one-time event, but it occurs every time you try and load the start page.

     

    #27414 Jan 29, 2009 14:03
  • Member since: 2005
     

    Hi,

    Did you find a solution on this problem. I have the same problem right now.

    Kind regards,

    Jon Haakon

    #44938 Oct 21, 2010 13:54