Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Page-branches with different language settings?

Vote:

My company plans to build a new site using EPiServer, but I am not sure that the language function will be able to do what we want. I've looked at some of the documentation and searched this forum, without getting a definitive answer (at least not to my specific question).

The majority of the site will be a "product catalogue", available in several languages with default languages to fall back to, if for instance we haven't had time to translate a new product yet. (This seems to be no problem to solve.)

But a part of the site will present language-specific information, such as news and trade fairs, or perhaps campaigns that only are valid for a specific country.

Q1: Is it possible to have some page-branches that are available in all languages, and some page-branches that are available only to specific languages?
Q2: Can we give editors acess to edit only one language?

The reason for these simple (i hope) questions is that the company that was supposed to build our new site claimed that the language function in EPiServer didn't work that way. They said that the language function had to be the same for all of the site.

Many thanks in advance for an answer

Daniel Strigård

Jun 12, 2009 16:46
Vote:

Q1)Yes you can have some areas with different languages rules.

Q2)Yes the editor will only be able to select between that sections allowed languages.

Jun 15, 2009 23:58
Vote:

Just a clarification regarding the globalization in EPiServer CMS:

As mentioned, it is possible to set specific languages for each branch, those language options will be inherited in that specific branch of the page structure.

However, all editors will have access to all language options available on the specific page branch, it is currently not possible to set access rights to a specific language version/variation of a page. You can only set access rights for pages in the page tree structure.

Jun 16, 2009 9:22
Vote:

Thanks for your answers and clarifications.
This means we most likely will use EPiServer for the new site.

Q1 was a go-no-go question for us to continue planning for an EPiServer solution. Q2 is also important, but perhaps not a deal breaker. We have to decide if it is crucial or not.

Are you sure there is no work-around for Q2? Otherwise perhaps this function can be built as an add-on?

Best regards

Daniel Strigård

Jul 02, 2009 15:43
Vote:

Currently this (Q2) is not a high priority issue in EPiServer CMS, but it might be added in the future depending on requests from end users.

Jul 03, 2009 9:29
Vote:

It seems we can prevent translators from editing wrong languages using workflows and approvals, so I guess we won't have any problems.

Thanks for all your answers!

/Daniel

Jul 03, 2009 11:22
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.