Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

'Ready to Publish' access rights

Vote:

Is it possible to give someone 'Ready to Publish' access rights without giving them Publish rights?

In my scenario users in the WebEditors group should be able to create pages and then when they click on Ready to Publish a workflow is initiated whereby a WebAdmin is notified and either publishes the page or sends it back for ammendment. The problem is that the WebEditor shouldn't have the rights to publish the page, but I don't seem to ba able to give them 'Ready to Publish' without Publish.

Apr 14, 2009 13:10
Vote:

Hi, you will need to create one more group like "SiteEditors" and give them the correct rights instead. If you look in the web.config-file you will se that we are using the group WebEditors to give them access to the EditMode but you should use another group inside episerver that tell them what they are allow to do once they are inside the system.

For more information please read our admin manual: http://world.episerver.com/en/Documentation/Items/Manuals/EPiServer-CMS/Administrator-Manuals---EPiServer-CMS-5-R2/

Regards /Eric

Apr 15, 2009 14:37
Vote:

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think my problem has anything to do with the groups.

My problem is that even if I add them to another group, there doesn't seem to be a permission that only gives them 'Ready to Publish' rights, i.e. if they have 'Create' rights they can Save pages but don't have the Publish or Ready to Publish options. If I give them 'Publish' rights then they have Ready to Publish but also Publish which I don't want.

I can't see a way to give them one without the other!

Apr 15, 2009 18:10
Vote:

Martin, you may want to consider a "Ready for approval" workflow!
Apr 15, 2009 22:32
Vote:

I am not sure I completely understand the problem here, but this is the model we generally recommend when working with access rights in EPiServer CMS:

1. Use groups WebAdmins and WebEditors only to provide acces to Admin and Edit mode respectively. These groups are default in an EPiServer CMS installation.

2. Create structure groups defining what editors can do where in the Web site structure. For these groups you can set access rights in the page tree structure.

Example: If you have a "Product" branch in your tree, you can create groups Product Writers and Product Editors. Writers will be able to read, save, edit and delete but not publish. Editors will be able to read, save, edit, delete and publish.

3. When a Writer has created a page and it is ready for publishing, the Writer will click "Save and view", and then click "Ready to publish". The "Save and publish" button will not be avilable to Writers.

If you wish to use workflows, you can use "Ready to publish" as a triggering event for starting a workflow which will send a task to the Editor who will review and publish the page.

Hope this will provide some help here.

Apr 17, 2009 12:04
Vote:

Silly me Embarassed I simply hadn't noticed that the 'Ready to Publish' button was available after selecting 'Save and View' (provided a change was made to the page).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Apr 20, 2009 10:15
Vote:

This thread helped me when I was trying to do pretty much the same thing. The only difference between the answers in this thread and what I found in EPiServer CMS 5 R2 is that the event that should be used to trigger the workflow is "PageCheckedIn".

However, I have a different problem now. The user who should approve publishing of the saved page only has a single button which says "Publish". I can't find anything such as "Do not publish" which would ideally send an e-mail to the person who wrote the page.

How do I do that?

Thanks a bunch

Sep 15, 2009 13:32
Vote:

Is a plugin like Ted Nyberg´s custom unpublish page plugin (see blog) an option?

Sep 17, 2009 13:48
Vote:

Unfortunately not. For this project, the user (or group) has to accept or reject publication. But thanks for your suggestion!
Sep 17, 2009 13:49
Vote:

In order to approve a page that is 'Ready to Publish' you need to use one of the approval workflows (Sequential Approval or Parallel Approval) that come out of the box with CMS6 (and also available for CMS5) and the approver needs to click on their 'My Tasks' tab in Edit Mode. The pages that are ready to be published can be clicked on here and then the approve/reject control appears in the action window.

Aug 02, 2012 10:55
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.