Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Install Episerver Mail into an existing epi 9 site

Vote:

Hi, have anybody tried to install episerver mail into an existing site running on epi 9?

According to his link: http://world.episerver.com/add-ons/episerver-mail/episerver-mail-8/ it states that I have to install epi mail through deployment center and then upgrade.

When I choose "Install Mail on existing site" and choose the site I want to install it into, I get the following error:

Details says:

System.ApplicationException: The web.config file for this site does not appear to match the EPiServer schema - could not find a matching  node
   at EPiServer.Install.WebServer.WebApplication.get_SiteConfigNode()
   at EPiServer.Install.WebServer.WebApplication.GetEPiServerCMSConnectionStringName()
   at EPiServer.Install.WebServer.WebApplication.get_ConnectionStringNode()
   at EPiServer.Install.WebServer.WebApplication.get_SiteDbConnectionString()
   at EPiServer.Mail.Install.Wizards.SelectSiteUsingSqlServerWizard.OnStepChanging(UserControl currentStep, Int32 currentStepIndex, UserControl nextStep, Int32 nextStepIndex, Boolean& skipNextStep)
   at EPiServer.Install.UI.WizardFrameForm.GetNextStepIndex(Int32 currentStepIndex, Int32 newStepIndex)
   at EPiServer.Install.UI.WizardFrameForm.UpdateWizard(Int32 previousStepIndex, Int32 newStepIndex)
   at EPiServer.Install.UI.WizardFrameForm.DoButtonAction(ButtonAction action)
   at EPiServer.Install.UI.WizardFrameForm.Button2_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Clicking continue does nothing.. Any tips or workaround for installing episerver mail on episerver 9 ?

Jun 07, 2016 14:07
Vote:

Unfortunately Episerver Mail currently only supports being installed on 7.5 as highest version.

"A first-time installation can only be done for CMS 7.5 through Deployment Center. To have Mail with the latest Episerver version, install a CMS 7.5 site with Mail, and then upgrade to the latest through NuGet."

to quote the documentation.

So if you want it, either wait until they fix it or install a fresh 7.5 site, install Episerver mail, upgrade site and then add your templates and import your content. Not funny at all I'm afraid. Same thing goes with a few other add ons like CMO btw

Jun 07, 2016 14:24
Vote:

Oh my :-O

Does epi mail use the same database as epi cms? if not, I would think that if I install a fresh 7.5 site with epi mail, upgrade the site and epi mail and then copy web.config settings, epi mail files and epi mail db to my existing site would work?

Jun 07, 2016 14:44
Vote:

Haven't tried it but that is the other way yes :) Might work. I'm guessing they might store some things in DDS that might be a problem depending on how they hooked it up. Let me know if it works :)

Jun 07, 2016 14:49
Vote:

Ok, thanks for clearing things up! Will try it out and update you:)

Jun 07, 2016 14:59
Vote:

Ok, I managed to do a workaround. Havn't tested it thoroughly yet, but I got it installed and it seems to work.

Steps:

1. Update web.config and add:

<sites>
      <site siteId="xxx" />
 </sites>

and

<section name="episerver.common" type="EPiServer.Common.Configuration.EPiServerCommonSection, EPiServer.Common.Configuration" />
<section name="episerver.mail" type="EPiServer.Mail.Configuration.EPiServerMailSection, EPiServer.Mail.Configuration" />

2. Open deployment center and chose EPiServer Mail -> Install Mail on existing site -> Run

3. Click the "Show all sites" check box, chose the site and click Next

4. I got some errors the first time stating that some attributes is unrecognized. Just remove these attributes and try again (the log will say which attributes). Continue untill no errors.

5. Install the newest version of episerver mail from nuget

6. Rebuild solution and run

Jun 14, 2016 9:58
Vote:

Nice workaround! :)

Jun 14, 2016 10:02
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.