Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Upgrade CMS6 composer solution to EPiServer 7

Vote:

I have read this document about how to go about migrating a composer solution to a EPiServer 7 solution. 

But what if we just want to do an upgrade like a vanilla cms6 to cms7? Isn't this possible when using composer? Why is it recomended to do a migration?

If many of the existing pages uses composer functionality but the total page count is reasonably low is it better to just rewrite the functionality and recreate the pages manually.

Any input or experiences regarding upgrading a composer site is appreciated.

/Per

Dec 12, 2013 11:26
Vote:

if we do an upgrade what happens to the actual data stored in episerver. Does it dissapear if we haven't created corresponding blocks before doing the upgrade?

Is all information still available in EPiServer and we can just replace the composer functionalty template by template?

Dec 12, 2013 11:33
Vote:

Does no one have any input on this?

Dec 13, 2013 10:41
Vote:

Hi Per,
The structure and format that Composer uses for storing Block data is quite different to the one used for Blocks in CMS 7. So when we looked at different options for bringing a Composer site to CMS 7 we made the decision to use a migration strategy to keep things simple.

If you were to just upgrade a Composer site, all the information would still be there but not in a form directly usable to CMS 7. You would end up with a page structure containing what is known in Composer as shadow pages or block and container pages. These pages along with each page that has any Composer elements on it would each have a long string property containing XML used by Composer.

To make these pages work in CMS 7 as blocks, you would have to restructure the shadow page tree, transform the xml property values and replace a number of property types. This is essentially what the Composer migration module does when importing content that has been exported from a Composer site.

Hope that helps explaining things a bit further, it would also be good to learn why you found the migration approach not to be sufficient.

Regards,
Henrik

Dec 13, 2013 11:36
Vote:

Thanks for the reply Henrik.

I have never worked with composer and I'm just trying to figure out what options I would have. Would it for instance på easier to just upgrade the site and throw away the composer stuff and have the editors replac the content manually? I guess that is no straight answer for this though and I fully understand that.

I don't think the migration process to be insufficient. The word migration just gives me a headache because of previous work experiences :).

Thanks again for answering.

/Per

Dec 13, 2013 12:20
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Legacy add-ons forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.