Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Block with contentarea

Vote:

Hello

I'm working in a solution with block-handling derived from the Alloy examples. Ie blocks that adapt in size depending on how many that fits each row.

In order to get a more flexible block layout - not only that they are stacked as small as possible, but that there's maybe one row with 2 blocks and then a row with 4 and so on I thought of this solution:

A block that only contains a contentarea, that are allways full width. So, in the page the editor would add 2 blocks, and then this block, let's call it "BlockContainer". The BlockContainer block would contain 4 blocks.

This works very well, I only have one problem: in edit mode, when I add blocks to the contentarea of my BlockContainer block all the blocks I add are rendered in full width instead of adapting to the width. When I publish and view the page then they are adapted correctly.

Doesn't matter if I add them in forms mode or wysiwyg, they are full with until published.

For clarity, some code:

public class BlockContainer : BlockData
{
	public virtual ContentArea MainContentArea { get; set; }
}

View:

@model BlockContainer
@Html.PropertyFor(x => x.MainContentArea)

So, anyone has a clue why this is happening when editing, and if there is a simple way to overcome this.

And of course, does anyone have a better solution on how to achieve this kind of thing.

Regards
Fredrik

Jan 28, 2014 13:06
Vote:

Damn, after some thinking I came up with a better solution:

I have created a block type called RowBlock. It is set to render only in full width. It doesn't render visible to the end user, in admin mode it renders as a horizontal line.

This is perfect. It can be dragged around. There needs to be only one instance. It works well with scheduled publishing of blocks, without unexpected gaps for instance.

Jan 28, 2014 16:16
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.