Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Development environments for dispersed teams

Vote:

Hi,

We have three teams in differnt countries working on same project. we are shareing TFS only but due to to performances we are sharing separate database for each team. 

Each team copy contents manually means :( for each team. We are wasting alot of development time in copying contents only to keep the teams at same point.

How can we copy contents only acroos databases. Any suggestion is welcom other then don't have dispersed teams :)

I can think of

Mirroring: I think not a feasible Solution
From Admin mode Export Data and then Import Data. OK, what if users are editing the data?

Regards

/K

Oct 04, 2013 15:38
Vote:

Any Comments?

Oct 07, 2013 11:25
Vote:

How much would the performance suffer if all teams shared the same database?

If content being out of sync is your main problem, would it not be easier if each team worked on separate content so you don't get conflicts when merging the content? (EDIT: I am talking about "content" as in "published pages")

Unless you use a shared database you will always have the risk that content is out of sync between teams.

Even using Mirroring or Import/Export you have no guarantee that you don't overwrite important content changes made by another team. Also, Mirroring is done between sites that need to be able to communicate with each other over http, so the development sites would have to be public or within the same domain.

However, using a shared database you need to make sure every team member constantly checks IN and OUT new source code so you don't end up with conflicts in the content type definitions (pages/blocks/properties). 

We've used a shared database in all the development projects I've done.

Edited, Oct 07, 2013 12:35
Vote:

Our Offices are in UK, Pune(India) and Bulgaria. We have issues while accessing Pune DBs. Life is terrible especially when debugging site if we have DB in Pune or Pune team is accessing UK DBs (SQL Server Connections are very slow if we access the machined(RDP) directly it is not as slow). We are sharing TFS database only but for CMC/MC databases we Setup Enviornments for UK Office, and Pune Office so Pune developer are sharing one db and Uk developers are sharing another dbs for Data. 

I am agreed Mirroring is not a solution but just wondering in industry is there any solution with this sort of development infrastructure.

Our inftrastructure team have tested replication already but it also failed. at some level data overwriting is accepetable. Any further thoughts?

Oct 07, 2013 13:09
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.