Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Controller not found when trying to access EPiServer UI URL

Vote:

I am trying to get an existing EPiServer 7 site (in development) working on another machine. To migrate to this new dev machine I have taken the following steps:

• Copied the source tree of the entire application to the new machine
  • Copied the contents of the VPP folder to the new machine
  • Created a new EPiServer dev license for the new machine
  • Updated EPiServerFramework.config to point to the new VPP location
  • connectionstrings.config has not changed - we are using a shared database
  • Created a new IIS web site, pointed it to the correct source location, updated hosts file to point the host name to the correct location

When I try to run the application I can load the site fine, but resources such as images that are stored in the VPP throw 404 errors.

If I try to access the EPiServer UI (let's say my site is at http://episite/ and the EPiServer UI is at /epiui/) I get the login page as expected. I log in using my Windows credentials (we are using Windows auth) and it appears to log in successfully. The problem is that when it redirects back to http://episite/epiui I receive the error:

HttpException : The controller for path '/epiui' was not found or does not implement IController.

To be absolutely clear, this machine is running:

• IDENTICAL source code
  • IDENTICAL VPP folder
  • The EXACT SAME database

as the other dev machines. Does anyone know why this is happening? This has happened on multiple new machines. 

Jul 31, 2013 4:29
Vote:

Additionally if I try to access a page that contains the HTML helper method Html.RenderEPiServerQuickNavigator() I receive the error

DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\dev\Trunk\src\EpiSite\epiui\Shell\ClientResources\packages.config'.

Which is ridiculous, because it should be looking for this resource in the VPP. The location it's using as the root (c:\dev\Trunk\src\EpiSite) is of course the SOURCE CODE folder, while \epiui\Shell\ClientResources\packages.config should clearly be located in the VPP folder.

Jul 31, 2013 4:32
Vote:

Do you have EPiServer 7 installed on that machine where you are trying to run a new site copy?

Check that application pool has required access rights for site root folder (including all subitems) and VPP folder (including subitems) (I guess it should be like read/write/modify).

Sep 02, 2013 18:31
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.