Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Set which discounts cannot be combined via code?

Vote:

Hi,

I cannot find where to set which discounts cannot be combined with eachother. In the gui this is easy to find.

I am talking about "Discount Priorities and Exclusions" and the "Cannot be combined with". It seems really strange if this is the same as ExcludedItems. ExcludedItems for me is if you have a discount on a entire catalog, but have a few items that you don't wan't to include. 

//T

Aug 24, 2017 10:55
Vote:

It's ExcludedItems. The naming might not be the best - but ExcludedItems means you can add the campaign root (exclude all other promotions), a campaign (exclude all promotions in that campaign) or a specific promotion.

I'll see if we can come up with a better name for the property.

Aug 24, 2017 12:14
Vote:

I would say that the name is totally wrong and confusing. But ok, than I know where I should add it then. Thanks for the quick answer.

//T

Aug 24, 2017 13:44
Vote:

I guess it's down to how you define 'item', which in this case is contextual. But in ecommerce "item" is often the same as epis "entry", hence the confusion. :P But yeah, it's always good to prevent the use of only "Item" when naming things. Prefixing it could work as well, like LineItem. Maybe ExcludedPromotionContentItem? laughing

Aug 24, 2017 14:01
Vote:

Renaming it would be a nasty breaking change, but we could definitely improve the docs to clarify that it should be the promotions, campaigns or campaign root. That it can be all of those I think is the reason why it is named item, ExcludedPormotions or ExcludedCampaigns simply wouldn't be enough. But I agree, the current form may be a bit too generic.

Aug 24, 2017 14:17
Vote:

We can however introduce a new, better property and obsolete ExcludedItems, without a breaking change release :) 

Aug 24, 2017 14:25
Vote:

Regarding this topic again, where can I find documentation regarding "Discount Priorities and Exclusions" can't seem to find any under the developer guides, http://world.episerver.com/documentation/developer-guides/commerce/marketing/

//T

Sep 06, 2017 8:58
Vote:

I added it just now. Our documentation team will review and publish it soon-ish.

Sep 06, 2017 9:46
Vote:

Ok, that is good. What would have been even better is that documentation explaining that this only works on order not on item before we started to use to use it cool

Sep 06, 2017 10:07
Vote:

Sure - we want to have the perfect documentation, but that's not easy given the size of our framework, and the resources we have. That's why we want to hear feedback from you to know which parts we need to improve.

Sep 06, 2017 10:16
Vote:

Piggybacking to this thread:
As Quan say documentation will never be 100%. Always good with feedback to epi regarding the documentation (maybe the documentation can be open sourced and pull requests can come from the community? :dreaming:).

But forums is a great place to talk about this stuff, but sometimes can be a bit slow. If you're working with epi cms/commerce/anything and don't have too many colleagues that work with the same, we have a community Slack that is free for all to join and where quick questions are answered: episervercommunity.slack.com

Sep 06, 2017 11:11
Vote:

Hi Joel,

I'm part of the Episerver Documentation Team and am happy to see your feedback on the documentation. My reaction to your suggestion is that we do solicit comments at the bottom of each page, and quickly update the documentation in response to them. IMO this is better than letting the community author the documentation because

• The tech writing staff verifies the changes with Commerce development team.
  • We standardize the language and make the presentation consistent with other parts of the Dev Guide.

We also let developers like you publish blogs on the World home page, which gives you total freedom to share information with other developers. (Thanks for your recent Commerce blog "New relations API in Commerce 11.") When developers share information with others, everybody gains. Thanks for your efforts.

Sep 07, 2017 16:02
Vote:

Fair enough! Didn't realize there were comment areas in the bottom of the documentation... :)

Sep 07, 2017 16:55
Vote:

The article that Quan Mai mentioned has been published: https://world.episerver.com/documentation/developer-guides/commerce/marketing/promotion-exclusions/.

Sep 07, 2017 17:32
Vote:

Yes, and it is awesome that the documentation already has been published. But, it still does not say how it operates. For myself, I took granted that the exclusions worked on a itemlevel and not a orderlevel. So maybe you should add that to the documentation to avoid further misunderstandings.

Also, a great feature would be if we somehow could specify how we would like the promotions to be evaluated when coming to promotions.

Just read Eriks blogpost and you will understand the confusion I am talking about.

https://world.episerver.com/blogs/bewildered-in-episerver-world/dates/2017/6/marketing-the-sorrow-of-exclusion/

//T

Sep 08, 2017 8:05
Vote:

Also, a great feature would be if we somehow could specify how we would like the promotions to be evaluated when coming to promotions.

I don't really understand this, could you elaborate? And add a use case for it, perhaps? :)

Sep 08, 2017 8:18
Vote:

For now exclusion is only at orderform level. We are working to make it possible to exclude other promotions at lineitem level. When we have that feature ready, the documentation will be updated.

Sep 08, 2017 8:56
Vote:

I think however that what Tommy was looking for and didn't find was the documentation of what it cannot do as well. Seeing as it's a quite common use case and somewhat hidden (not something you realize when you start with promotions, but rather when you get the bug report from the customer) it might be good to just add somewhere in the exclusions documentations

"Note that exclusions works on the entire order form, if a discount has been excluded it won't be able to be applied to any items in the order form."

and maybe even add

".. We are looking into having exclusions on item level, but that's not something that is supported for now"

depending on how you do documentation. Probably shouldn't have such "future" lines in the documentation, but you never know :) 

Sep 08, 2017 9:01
Vote:

Exactly Joel, thanks for clarifying that and sorry for me beeing not that clear :D

//T

Sep 08, 2017 9:38
Vote:

Thanks to everyone for their input. We have modified the topic - see https://world.episerver.com/documentation/developer-guides/commerce/marketing/promotion-exclusions/.

Sep 12, 2017 21:04
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.