Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Multi site epi - Subdomain issue

Vote:

I have a problem with a site A, in a multiple site (Site A, www.a.com and Site B, www2.a.com) epi installation, that does not have its own domain.

1. Site B has the host name www2.a.com but the actual site is under www2.a.com/site.

2. www2.a.com redirects to www.a.com, that has subdomains like www.a.com/b and www.a.com/c.

This causes some problems for the server when keeping track of what /budles belongs to what web. Now the solution for the issue is to try through code to change the name of the bundles files to something like /bbundles, /cbundles and /sitebundles. The code for all sites in the multi site shares one source code.

What other solutions can we use? We would like to resolve this issue higher up without having to rename the bundles folder and so on. 

Is it possible to give site B the host name www.test.com and then redirect it to www2.a.com or www2.a.com/d or will this cause problems with episerver?

Edited, Nov 25, 2016 15:54
Vote:

Each site should have it's own domain or subdomain name. If I understand you correctly you have the domain names:

• www.a.com
  • www2.a.com

This works.

Your source code is deployed with different folders for the frontend files (I'm assuming this is what you mean by /bundles?).

Then you could just use for example the sitename and workout which folder to use or just add a string property somewhere in the site (startpage or setting block would be likely) where you can set the folder name to use.

Nov 27, 2016 23:19
Vote:

I'm not sure if I understand. How will adding a string property in the site solve the problem with the unique path?

From the server department I got this:

"The following resourses in epi must be moved to a unique path

There are a lot of resources on site A that is duplicated under for example /bundles. These path must be changed to something unique for Site A or else they will not be routed correctly on the proxy or in siteminder."

Edited, Nov 28, 2016 10:10
Vote:

I am not sure unders the question correctly,

In Admin mode, Under manage website, If you create two sites with your domain names and add host entries as following

For www2.a.com

www2.a.com | Primary

For www.a.com

www.a.com | Primary

These will be treated as separate websites.

/K

Nov 28, 2016 13:12
Vote:

Site A is then locked from the outside from the server side. So we have to name the folder /bundles so that they are unique. Otherwise when lifting just one of all the sites (sharing the same source code) every site will be mapped to the same /bundles mapp causing problems. 

And I can't add Host Names that is a subdomain in epi.

Edited, Nov 28, 2016 13:22
Vote:

When deploying, create separate bundles-folders and use a setting to select which one to use. Then you will have "unique paths".

A more sophisticated approach would be to make your scripts and CSS work for both sites but get different appearance by some CSS-class or other indicator in the HTML.

Nov 28, 2016 14:09
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.