Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Search and replace installation throwing Null Reference Exception after initial setup

Vote:

Hi All, 

I'm working on installing this plug-in within my development environment and I followed all the steps within usage instructions document and I believe the setup is correct but I think there could be something as at play here in terms of my EPiServer configuration and how it integrates with the plug-in. I used the NuGet package manager within visual studio to install it and below is the full stack trace of the error. I've researched other posts regarding the use of this plug-in and associated issues but it doesn't appear that anybody has run across this particular issue. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] 
System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement.get_Item(String propertyName) +654793 
EPiServer.Configuration.EPiServerSection.get_VirtualPathSettings() +10 
FortuneCookie.EPiServer.SearchAndReplace.RegisterResources.GetEPiServerCmsPath() +43 
FortuneCookie.EPiServer.SearchAndReplace.RegisterResources.RegisterVppResources() +145 
FortuneCookie.EPiServer.SearchAndReplace.RegisterResources.Start() +8 

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.] 
System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) +0 
System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) +192 
System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +108 
System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams) +1788 
EPiServer.PlugIn.PlugInRuntime.Start(Boolean reset) +311 
EPiServer.Initialization.PlugInInitialization.Initialize(InitializationEngine context) +10 
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.<>c__DisplayClass5.b__4() +19 
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.ModuleNode.Execute(Action a, String key) +43 
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.ModuleNode.Initialize(InitializationEngine context) +80 
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.InitializeModules() +349 
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.Initialize(HostType hostType) +118 
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.Initialize(HostType hostType) +353 
EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.FrameworkInitialization(HostType hostType) +82 
EPiServer.Global..ctor() +79 
Shedd.Web.Global..ctor() +29 
ASP.global_asax..ctor() in c:\Users\earnquist\AppData\Local\temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\vs\2856dfe4\39a9fddb\App_global.asax.meh2thet.0.cs:0 

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.] 
System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0 
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +113 
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +232 
System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +83 
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +1136 
System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +128 
System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture) +18 
System.Web.HttpRuntime.CreateNonPublicInstance(Type type, Object[] args) +60 
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +260 
System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +296 

[HttpException (0x80004005): Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.] 
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +9952212 
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +101 
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +254 

Thanks, 

Eric

Jan 27, 2016 14:42
Vote:

Looks like it's trying to find some VPP (virtual path) settings and not finding any?

Check documentation and see if you need something specific? Test installing it on a fresh demo site of the same version...

Jan 27, 2016 16:17
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.