Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EpiServer loading slow on IIS

Vote:

Hey there,

I'm running EpiServer locally on IIS 7 using visual studio 2013 Community to compile. My machine specifications are:

- Windows 7 64 bit

Intel i3 550 @ 3.20Ghz

4.00Gb RAM

Has anyone got any ideas?

Best,

John

Jan 05, 2016 10:28
Vote:

Yes, buy a new computer :) Both processor and ram is a not enough in my opinion. Also in latest release they droped the support for win 7. When compiling a .net solution you can optimize the assemlies that should be scanned on startup. 

Depending on what you think is slow is also a factor of course. But .net solution tend to be slow at startup for bigger solutions. Also do not compile if only changing CSS and views. Only compile when you do changes in the backend.

Jan 05, 2016 12:55
Vote:

Thanks Eric!

I have the assemblies optimised along with IIS but it's no good! Slow is 5 mins plus on start-up.

So more RAM or a new machine it is.

Best,

John

Jan 06, 2016 11:45
Vote:

If you still rebuild the solution changing css, you can try to look into "optimizeCompilation" flag under <compilation> element in web.config. This guy does tricks with not rebuilding the temp build cache for the Asp.Net build manager. Basically it ignores "changes" (because these are not changes, but the same files are rewritten to the output folder once again) in bin folder and other significant places even you do rebuild.

Jan 06, 2016 22:45
Vote:

Another thought could be that large projects is slow. Like the one I am working on at the moment were we have 47 projects in one solution. It is slow as hell but you could unload the projects you do not need to compile all the time. Also add the setting as Vladis mentioned.

Slow connection to db is often the case as well. If you are working on a shared db on a slow connection might take some time. My recommendation is actually to work locally with the db as mutch as possible otherwise you will become really frustrated. :)

Jan 07, 2016 12:23
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.