Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Deployment EPiserver 8 CMS

Vote:

I have two environments for my EPiserver CMS 8 project, the project is not in production yet:

- Local/development evironment. Here I've changed some pagetypes, some controller code and added one scheduled job .

- Stage environment, where some users are introducing some content for testing the Editor interface.

I want to update the stage environment with my changes on local environment, without loss of data in stage environment.

For now I'm publishing my visual studio solution to a local directory, and copying the files from local to stage environment.

Must I update the database too?, Must I Export data from stage database, and import it to new database?? 

How must I proceed?? Is there a step-by-step process guide somewhere on how do such updates from one environment to another????

Johan Kronberg  's answer:

Pagetypes changes will be updated automatically by deploying new DLLs.

The scheduled job will be added automatically by deploying new DLLs.

If you have upgraded EPi locally and if you are on 8.7 or newer and have updateDatbaseSchema="true" these will also be performed automatically on startup.
http://world.episerver.com/documentation/Items/Developers-Guide/EPiServer-CMS/8/Deployment/automatic-schema-updates/

Content in the database will not be updated by any normal deployment step.

If you have prepared content on your local site you can use Export and Import function in Admin mode to copy it between environments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point of this post is to be sure that some content created with one page type, can safely be exported and imported to another database, with same page type slightly changed.

Is that right???

Regards.

Nov 17, 2015 9:43
Vote:

Deployment steps

Normally when we're preparing for a brand new website, we let the editors work in staging. Staging is using the same database that will be the production database.

Once going live we bascially do the following steps

• Tell the editor that content freeze is a couple of days before launch date
  • Setup a live IIS website on the production server to listen to your www.livedomain.com
  • Use your local HOSTS file and point www.livedomain.com to the IP of your server, check that everything works
  • Prepare the web site settings in Admin mode and set the production urls
  • When everything works, do the DNS steps required to point www.livedomain.com to your server.

Then setup a new test or staging server by copying the database and AppData folder, deploy a new IIS website and use these copies

Import and export

If you use the Export/Import tool in EPiServer and the page types are different, these are the rules

• If the page types on your target site has some properties that your source site is missing, it's all ok. These fields will be missing
  • If the page types on your source site has some properties that your target site is missing, you will get a warning.
  • To ensure that the page type mappings are 100% correct, use GUIDs in the ContentType attrbute of your page type classes
Nov 19, 2015 19:44
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.