Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Separate roots for Media and Blocks

Vote:

It can be confusing to editors that media and blocks have the same root. You see the same tree and folders but without the content that is not of the same type.

A proper implementation should have different roots for Media and Blocks.

Has anyone succeeded in doing so? What steps are required to achieve it?

Oct 19, 2017 16:05
Vote:

A similar discussion here :)

There is a reason though: https://world.episerver.com/forum/developer-forum/-Episerver-75-CMS/Thread-Container/2014/4/Blocks-and-Media-Content-have-the-same-root/

Oct 23, 2017 9:54
Vote:

Thanks Marija. Problem is that we get complaints from editors using Episerver that it is illogical to share the same tree, so I don't really buy Linus explanation.

I would like Episerver to consider reworking this, since blocks and images are two conceptually different things for editors - even if they have similarities under the hood. To me, this is a perfect example of a design which was created from a technical perspective rather than taking the users into consideration.

So I am still looking for a solution :-/

Oct 23, 2017 17:57
Vote:

When I first saw this in Episerver 7.5, I also thought this was a very odd solution, and bad UX. The explanation from Episerver back then was that user tests had shown that this was actually preferred by editors, and that they got confused when they saw differnt folder structures. I still can't belive that's true. However, I've haven't heard an editor saying that this is a big problem.

I agree with Johan that they should have separate trees, and any confusion can probably be minimized by some clever UX. Maybe make it more visually clear what tab you are looking at (Blocks or Media)?

Oct 25, 2017 21:04
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.