Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Draft master language property values in localized drafts

Ted
Ted
Vote:

Let's say I have multiple drafts of a content's master language version, but none is published.

If I then edit a different language version of the same content, which property values should I see for non culture-specific properties?

I was under the impression that I should see the property values from the primary draft of the master language version?

Let's say I have 2 drafts of the master language version, where the second one is the primary draft and has a property called SomeProperty set to "ABC123". It has a [CultureSpecific(false)] attribute.

If I edit a draft of another language version at this point (draft created after the primary draft of the master language version), shouldn't I see the (now disabled) SomeProperty with a value of "ABC123"?

Because in my case, SomeProperty is empty (the value from the first non-primary draft of the master language version).

Hehe, I wonder how well I'm explaining this? :)

May 24, 2016 17:14
Vote:

How did you create a draft from a content is not published? Using the API? Cause I'm not able to do that using the editor interface.

However my impression is that Primary Draft mainly refers to "what version do you want to start to see when you're editing" and would have nothing to do with master language properties while this code gets the work done for me. Did you do something similar?

var contentRepository = ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<IContentRepository>();
var page = contentRepository.Get<PageData>(new ContentReference(12));
var clone = page.CreateWritableClone();
contentRepository.Save(clone, SaveAction.Save | SaveAction.ForceNewVersion, AccessLevel.NoAccess);

Normally it always use the published version on the Master Language for non-culture specific properties but It looks to me as it's picking the first created version as there are no published ones. Which might explain why you can't remove that first created draft on the Master Language (at least not using the editor interface).

I don't think it's that common that there are multiple drafts of a page (or have I missed something?) or that editors start working on their translations until the master language is published so might not be a behavior considered by Episerver.

Edited, May 24, 2016 21:50
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.