I'm currently working on a site where we show StartPublish (among other datetime-properties) for the end user. When working locally where we have UTC+1 (Sthlm) everything works fine, but when deployed to Azure which uses UTC we notice some unwanted behavior.
If we set Published to 2015-02-26 00:00. It will be saved as 2015-02-25 23:00. Probably due to the fact that the editor is working on a browser with UTC+1, while the webserver is set to UTC. As long as the editor and the server uses the same timezone it works fine.
Our gobalization in web.config looks as such
<globalization culture="sv-SE" uiCulture="sv" requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" resourceProviderFactoryType="EPiServer.Framework.Localization.LocalizationServiceResourceProviderFactory, EPiServer.Framework" />
Are we doing something wrong, and if so, can we do something to fix this? We're running C# MVC with EPiServer 220.127.116.11.
I'm not sure that I understand the actual issue here. The user will see dates and time on their local time zone in the editorial interface while dates will be saved in the servers time zone. This should not matter anything since the effective time will be the same anyway. For instance, if a user in UTC + 1 sets the publishing date to 00:00 this will mean that the article is published at 00:00 UCT +1 which is the same as UTC 23:00.
I think the issue Sebastian is refering to has to do with displaying the UTC DateTime of StartPublish in a view. I have the same issue where I set StartPublish to say 2015-02-26 00:00 but when displaying @Model.CurrentPage.StartPublish the output is 2015-02-25 23:00. This is in an Azure Website as well.
Sebastian, in which timezone do you want to display the time? By default the time will be presented in the server's timezone. If you want to display it in another timezone you have to convert it yourself.
Please have a look a the converter methods inside the TimeZoneInfo namespace.P
Is there anyway setting to let the editors see the server time in the pickers instead of local?
Thank you Johan and Linus.
We want to display it as the same timezone as the one entered by the editors, or preferably the same timezone as the user. It's not a big issue for us, but now I know how EPiServer handles timezones and why it seems to be the "correct" timezone in the datepicker, and a different when used as a property in code. It makes sense.
I know I'm late to the party here, but did any of you "solve" this issue? When displaying the value of a DateTime property, there is , AFAIK, no way to know what timezone the editor was in when saving it.
I can totally see how this is a valid use case for the StartPublish property, but for a datetime proeprty that is used for displaying a date, it becomes a bit of a brain exercise for the editor to keep in mind that they need to think UTC just because the solution is hosted in Azure.
Adding a property for the timezone, and converting it from UTC to that timezone is certainly a way to go about it, but it's hardly a user-friendly approach.
As Stephan as phrased here, I'm curious if anyone knows of a good approach to resolve this.
We have event pages and the editor chooses the DateTime property accordingly. This gets messy since they literally are stating the date time that they want displayed - is there a nice way to ensure it is stored and presented as the same timezone?
I'll post back if I figure out a way :)
Don't know if this is connected to the thread but here goes.
I display the following date and time in a dropdownlist: 09/12/2016 00:00:00
The user clicks on a button and the value is saved to an EPiServer property.
When viewed in edit mode, the value is displayed as 2016-09-12 02:00. That's an two extra hours.
Is this the desired behavior or is something wrong? We're running EPiServer 9 but I ran the date conversion script on the database anyway since it would be ok prior to version 10.
I’m a lite late on this one but where is some comments on how this issue where resolved so I want to share the changes we did.
We have an DXC professional server setup (azure) and the issue accrued for us on both integration (with one hour) and production server (with two hours).
The site we are working on is only displayed in one language (sv) so I don’t know how this will resolve the issue for users from another time zone but since our users only is located in Sweden this worked for us.
The solution is simple, we change the server configuration for WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE to Central Europe Standard Time on both integration and production and then the DateTime property displayed the right time for both editors and the end user.
So I guess we only change what Sebastian said in the start of this thread “As long as the editor and the server uses the same timezone it works fine.”
If I've understood everything correct it works like this:
Episerver CMS 10 saves dates as UTC, earlier versions saves dates as local server time.The datetime (dojo) editor in edit mode automatically adapts to the datetime of the editor-user's browser/machine.When getting the datetime value in e.g. a view you get the value in the server timezone.
When presenting the datetime to the end user you have to convert the value (from server time) to whatever timezone you want it to be presented as. That can be done by converting from server timezone to UTC and then to the selected timezone.
If you want the editor to be able to set the exact value that is shown to the user, then you basically have to use a string property instead (or adapt the dojo editor).
The solution suggested above (to change time zone on server) only works if your all editors machines are in the same timezone.
Yes, this gave med headake aswell...
© Episerver 2017 |
About Episerver World